Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Watch - Mangotsfield United

+2
Solihull Martyr
Wandering
6 posters

Go down

Media Watch - Mangotsfield United Empty Media Watch - Mangotsfield United

Post  Wandering Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:06 am

With five games remaining we are almost in touching distance of the finishing line and hopefully we will soon be able to smell the coffee!

However, we under-estimate Mangotsfield at our peril. They are currently rated the second best form side away from home and travel to South Wales on the back of five consecutive wins on the road.

The corresponding away fixture in January was a close, tense encounter with clear cut chances for either side at a premium. They have certainly strengthened the side since the start of the season with Lewis Hogg joining from Bath City and Matt Groves arriving from Gloucester City.

Former Martyrs ‘keeper, Joe Perry has kept four clean sheets in the last five games while up front Caerphilly born Lewis Powell has been in prolific form this season scoring 35 goals from 41 appearances.

Steve Jenkins has some straight forward selection issues ahead of the game. With the end of Kyle Patten’s loan spell, Matthew Harris should be the obvious replacement, but this may also depend on the availability of Kris Leek. The substitute’s bench this weekend will probably once again feature Kerry Morgan, Corey Jenkins, Richard Evans and Jake Harris.

Game patterns can change very quickly. At the moment the formula is working, so he is probably loath to change it. Our scheduling of the re-arranged fixtures has been sufficiently spread out for us to keep the starting line up relatively consistent.

Maybe we have some fresher legs and minds in the team at the moment. Maybe we have knowingly stumbled across a good balance. Leek’s energy alongside Gavin Williams has given our midfield a far greater offensive presence. In many ways, Leek reminds me increasingly of Ian Docherty. He may be spoken of in exalted tones as an influential figure by older Martyrs fans, but the driving runs, strong tackling technique and long-range shooting skills are certainly reminiscent of the elegant Scot. Leek as “sniper” alongside Williams as “screen” has worked very well when they have combined together.

To a certain extent Bauza has been able to replicate the energy that Leek often provides us in more advanced positions. When Bauza and Patten started together they sometimes struggled with the balance of responsibility. Effectively, it became an identity crisis between the two as to whom the alpha male was. Patten, although the younger, gradually developed a better understanding of how to harness the qualities of other players, rather than sulking or simply trying to take on the world all by himself.

Patten was able to basically learn this by absorbing what was effectively happening around him, after he initially appeared to struggle to understand exactly with what was required at this level. But in a short time he realised that he needed to up his game and he was able to make a significant contribution in the second half of his loan period.

Steve Jenkins won’t want to alter the chemistry within the camp unless it’s absolutely necessary. There is enough experience in the side to control the pattern of the game. Gavin and Ryan Green are such talent’s that they know instinctively what is required and it’s essential that their team-mates respond to their directions.

I must conclude by encouraging all of our supporters to really get behind the team this Saturday. The Martyrs have played some great football but have also ground out results when the situation dictated. The weatherman predicts that it will be dry and slightly warmer at the weekend but the fans need to make as much noise as possible so that the Mangotsfield players receive a thunderous welcome!

The players would appreciate everyone’s support, I can tell you that they definitely deserve it.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Media Watch - Mangotsfield United Empty Re: Media Watch - Mangotsfield United

Post  Wandering Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:29 am

Merthyr Town focused on big Bank Holiday weekend at Penydarren Park - and they could be crowned champions
Wales On Line

Manager Steve Jenkins and his Martyrs are on the brink of clinching a third promotion in five seasons and effectively need three more points to take the EvoStik Southern League title.

Their aim is to finish the job this weekend when they play Mangotsfield at home on Saturday and then Bishops Cleeve (both 3pm). One win would make Merthyr champions and, while they have five more fixtures left, they would love to make clinch glory at their home stadium.

Season ticket holders at Cardiff City, Swansea City, Newport County and Welsh Premier League clubs are all offered 33 per cent discount on match tickets at Penydarren Park and Merthyr are hoping to push up their average attendance.

They have proved to be the biggest club in their division. Merthyr’s average, 509, is far more than any other club’s highest attendance. No other club has an average above 300, while Merthyr have topped the 1,000-spectator mark this season.

Jenkins’ men have scored 102 goals, have a goal difference of plus 71 and earned 28 wins in 37 league matches so far.

Kayne McLaggon and Ian Traylor are Merthyr’s top scorers with 20 Southern League goals each. They are likely to line-up alongside 11-goals centre-forward Ryan Prosser in a potent three-man attack against Mangotsfield on Saturday.

Merthyr will be without midfield player Kyle Patten, who has returned to Newport County after his loan spell, this weekend, with Kris Leek expected to take his place alongside Guillermo Bauza and Gavin Williams.

Jamie Rewbury, back in training after his ankle injury, is battling to be fit for at least one of the matches this weekend and he will have a late fitness test. Rewbury may well be among the substitutes.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:03 am

Manager Paul Collicutt wary of Evesham United’s run-in
Evesham Journal

EVESHAM United have the toughest fixtures run-in of all their promotion rivals, according to manager Paul Collicutt. The Robins have five games to play but can cement their place in the Evo-Stik Southern League Division One South and West play-offs with victory over Cinderford Town at the Jubilee Stadium tomorrow (3pm).

But while Evesham are unbeaten in 10 games, Cinderford have won their last five matches, scoring 22 goals in the process. Although United are almost certain of extending their season, Collicutt is not taking anything for granted.

He said: “Cinderford are in very good form, I have had them watched and the reports are very good. I know it will be a hard game. I am really looking forward to it because it’s two teams playing good football. It will be a big game for both clubs and they are going to bring a few fans with them because they are still hoping to get in the play-offs.”

“We have got five games left, three at home and two away. We have also got to play two teams that have already beaten this season in Didcot and Tiverton. When I look at our run-in and then Stratford’s and Taunton’s I believe we have got a very difficult run-in and the lads deserve a pat on the back for the way they have performed in the last two games.”

Captain Matt Sysum completes his three-match ban tomorrow, while midfield duo Ollie Knowles (back) and Sean Wood (unavailable) are both missing.

However, defender Lewis Binns could return following an ankle injury, along with striker Carl Brown who has had an ankle injury.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:17 am

Western Daily Press

Richard Thompson wants his Mangotsfield side to "enjoy the day" when they take on league leaders Merthyr today.

Managed by former Wales international Steve Jenkins, Merthyr are 12 points clear at the summit and could clinch the league title with a victory.

Thompson said: "We're still aiming to try to finish this season on a high and the message to my players is to just enjoy the day."

Craig Laird says the ambition shown by Yate (who we play next Saturday) chairman Colin Pick and director of football Nigel Hawkins convinced him to take up the position as boss at Lodge Road.

Laird was installed as the new Bluebells boss on Monday and takes over from Hawkins, who was put in interim charge when previous manager Rob Cousins departed in February.

The former Weston-super-Mare manager said: "The chairman is very ambitious and alongside Nigel Hawkins – that was one of the reasons for coming to Yate. Their ambition and the growing potential of the club was evident when I spoke to them about the job."

Laird's first game in charge is at struggling Bishop's Cleeve today.

Taunton will be chasing the double over Bridgwater when the sides meet in their derby match this afternoon. Leigh Robinson's men were 2-1 winners at Bridgwater in September and since then have occupied a play-off spot.

But they have slipped to fourth in the table after suffering three successive Saturday afternoon defeats. Taunton have only four more matches after today – including home matches against Yate and Wantage.

"Every game is a big game for us now," said Taunton's chairman and chief executive Kevin Sturmey, who is expecting the club's biggest gate of the season.

Bridgwater have had some notable away wins this season – at Merthyr and Weston – and will aim to take another.

John Brough is hoping that Cinderford will be able to keep up their red-hot form in front of goal when they make the trip to Evesham.

The two form sides in Division One South & West go head-to-head after winning their last five games with Cinderford scoring 22 goals in the process, while third-placed Evesham have not tasted defeat since they were beaten at home by runaway league leaders Merthyr in January.

Cinderford will go on the attack as they attempt to reduce the five-point deficit to fifth-placed Larkhall. "We need to win to have any chance of closing that gap," said Brough. "We're at our best when we're attacking teams. Everyone is full of confidence after five wins and some fantastic scorelines."

Larkhall will aim to keep the chasing pack at bay and hold onto the final play-off place when they take on Wantage this afternoon. The Larks have received a boost with the news that their Plain Ham ground has been deemed suitable for Premier Division football.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:44 am

I somehow fancy our old nemesis the Mangos to get a share of the spoils today...
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:29 am

I take a draw today and a bumper gate on Monday to see us win the title

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:47 am

I don't mind any result as long as the 'Man Goes' to the game......as my youngest son - a Martyr since he was 6 - is on crutches after an ACL knee operation- .I would love a win but whatever the score....I just want to see a bumper crowd entertained by good attacking football with plenty of shots on target....but not from Swansea Jack's wife ( eh Rustic) ....Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:21 am

Four draws from four home games will do it.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:42 am

Haha Boz,

I was waiting for a humorous reply somewhere.

Any im happy to inform you all that I will be bringing my old man and nephew along.
So that's three of us Swans fans in attendance.

Have a great day everyone.
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down