Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

League goals conceded this season

5 posters

Go down

League goals conceded this season Empty League goals conceded this season

Post  Old Sod Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:36 pm

With Mrs OS watching The Voice I had the time and inclination to have a look at the league goals we’ve conceded this season based on the reports on the Forum provided by myself & the Imp.

Wimborne home – The Imp
After about 25 minutes Wimborne then took the lead when the ball was slipped past Jarrad Wright on our left and the player ran on to put the ball across the area for Matt Kemble to score with their first effort on target.

Bashley away – Old Sod
The Bash were getting even more players behind the ball now and we were passing the ball about well to try and get in behind them but couldn’t make another breakthrough and very much against the run of play the Bash scored as Morse ran towards our area and it was picked up by Brading, whose powerful shot seemed to get a deflection which sent it past Bradley and yet another clean sheet was avoided.

Didcot home – The Imp
However, almost straight away Didcot pulled a goal back when an attack down their left resulted in the ball being turned in at the near post.

Sholing home – The Imp
Overall it had been a pretty even game, and Sholing took the lead when a long ball down the middle saw Jarrad Wright challenge an attacker for it, but it fell for an unmarked player running through to give Tom Bradley no chance from 15 yards.

Stratford away – Old Sod
On the 19th minute Stratford broke into our half with Tulloch to the fore and the ball came out to Adie Harris.  He passed it straight to Tulloch who gave it to Halsall who went through and he placed the ball wide of Bradley and into our net and it was 1-0 to Stratford directly as a result of that mistake.

Shortwood home – The Imp
Shortwood pulled a goal back on about 89 minutes when a long, high ball seemed to be missed by everyone leaving a player to lob it high over Tom Bradley and into the net.

Shortwood won a throw in on the right midway inside our half they were able to work the ball across the edge of our area to an attacker who put the ball under Bradley's dive with what was effectively the last kick of the match as the referee blew for time immediately the game restarted.

North Leigh home – The Imp
North Leigh had begun to make more of a game of it after the break, with it being more even, and they pulled a goal back on the hour mark. A ball inside Dan Summerfield set a player free to fire the ball across the goalmouth for a team-mate to turn it in at the far post.

Larkhall away – Old Sod
On about 40 minutes, Larkhall broke the deadlock when a long ball into the Merthyr half by Batten led to a challenge between Sibbick & Rewbury in which the Larks centre forward seemed to push Rewbury but the referee allowed play to go on and Sibbick got into our area and slid a good shot past Bradley and it was 1-0 to the Larks.

On about 62 minutes, Larkhall gained a free kick on their right and a long ball came into our box where it eluded 2 Larks forwards and dropped at the feet of Rewbury at the far post and he stuck out his right foot and sent it past Bradley and into our net for an unfortunate OG which levelled the score at 2-2.

Taunton away – Old Sod
After about 15 minutes, Short took a throw for Taunton on their right and he found Carter who sent a long ball into our area which was well headed clear by Rewbury towards Leek but he lost the ball to Short who in turn found Kirk just outside the area on the right hand side.  He pushed it out further right to Chainey who got to the by-line and his cross was met by Kingston’s head and it flew into our net to give Taunton the lead. 

However Taunton did have the final say, when on the stroke of full time, a ball from Short on the right went right across our area and Carter on the left crossed the ball in for Irish to head in at the far post to make the score 4-2.

Yate Town home – The Imp
But straight away Yate equalised when they broke down the left and a ball across was turned inside the far post.

Swindon Supermarine home – The Imp
It looked as if we might pay for that miss about 5 minutes later when we were somehow all over the place in defence as Swindon moved the ball from side to side, leaving a man clear to put the ball into an empty net from the edge of the area.

But then Swindon pulled a goal back again straight away when a good cross from the right saw a defensive header under pressure, and with Swindon having plenty of men forward one of them was able to put the ball into the net.

Tiverton Town away – Old Sod
Gavin Williams took over the goalkeeping gloves and his first task was to pick the ball from the back of the net to where is was dispatched by Richards into our left hand corner of the goal whilst Williams moved to his right and the score became 2-1 with us down to 10 men and an outfield player in goal.

Evesham United home – The Imp
Evesham then went down the other end almost straight away, and Dan Summerfield was somehow beaten very close to the side line resulting in the ball being played across and put into the net from just inside the area.

Fleet Town away – Old Sod
Then on 32 minutes Fleet got the breakthrough when a defensive lapse after a miscued shot by White which resulted in a bit of a scramble and the ball was latched onto by Martin who shot it into the net beyond Bradley and Fleet were leading 1-0.

Bishops Cleeve away – Old Sod
Then on about 70 minutes, Cleeve broke down their left and Watts was faced by Green.  Watts came inside and crossed the ball into our area but it was taken by the wind and it looped over Bradley and in at the far post so the score was 1-1.

Clevedon Town away – Old Sod
Against the run of play Clevedon scored when the ball came into the Merthyr half on their right.  The ball was sent across into the Merthyr area and Sims sent it towards goal and it sneaked in at the far post to make the score 2-1.

Fleet Town home – The Imp
Fleet then grabbed an equaliser after about 55 minutes with one of their very few efforts on goal throughout the match. A player got the ball down the right, and was allowed to run a long way across the edge of the area before finishing with a shot across Tom Bradley, a goal which was very much against the run of play.

Taunton Town home – The Imp
Taunton then began to come much more into the game as they proceeded to have their best spell, and it was no real surprise when they pulled a goal back - although disappointing it should have been headed straight in from a corner to the far post.

North Leigh away – Old Sod
NL broke down their right after we lost the ball from our own throw in and a low ball came into our area and from about 6 yards an unmarked Morgan Williams sent the ball past Bradley, giving him no chance.

Bridgwater Town home – The Imp
After about 13 minutes we lost the ball in midfield and Bridgwater played a man clean through down the middle for him to go down as Bradley challenged him. Bradley was booked for the challenge, with Bridgwater players appealing for him to be sent off. Bridgwater's Tom Knighton took the kick which Bradley got his leg to as he dived the other way, but the ball went into the net.

But no more than 5 minutes later Bridgwater were ahead again, when a corner was headed down to be scrambled into the net.

Didcot Town away – Old Sod
A few minutes later after another long Diddy ball was defended away for a corner the ball was sent in perfectly towards our far post and Learoyd, all on his own, headed the ball into the back of our net and Diddy, rather against the run of possession, were ahead 1-0 after 10 minutes of the second half.

After Diddy gained a free kick just inside their half a long free kick by Elkins went towards our area and the referee adjudged that Green had fouled a Diddy forward and a free kick was awarded to the left of the D.  Elkins came forward to take the kick and sent a low, hard shot towards Bradley who was only able to parry it out and Mills, one of two Diddy attackers who were following up all on their own, had the simple task of slotting it home into an unguarded net and Diddy were 2 up with about 20 minutes of the game to go.

Swindon Supermarine away – Old Sod
O’Hara took the corner and sent it high into the Merthyr area and Bradley got there first and punched it out but it was picked up by Stanners who got it out right to Stanners who put a far post cross into the area where Waldon headed it back across to Etheridge who pushed it forward to Hopper who slid it past Bradley to give Swindon a 1-0 lead in first half stoppage time.

AFC Totton away – Old Sod
Then Totton’s White found Blackburn in the Totton half.  He sent a lobbed pass towards Mouland who got into the Merthyr half and down the left when he was brought down by Summerfield who earned himself a yellow and Totton had a free kick.  Gilbert took the kick high towards the penalty spot, Bradley came out and missed it and White had the simple task of heading it into an unguarded net.

Bridgwater Town away – Old Sod
Just before the end, Bridgwater gained their first corner of the game when a speculative shot, going wide, was deflected wider still and over the byline.  The corner came in high into the area and Bushin had a free header from about 6 yards making the score 2-1 to the Martyrs. 

Tiverton Town home – The Imp
It was against the run of play when Tiverton equalised. A long free kick came into the box and was headed straight in by defender Steve Goss.

Therefore looking at the above it seems that our goals against have been for the following reasons –

Defensive error – 7
Penalties – 2
Set pieces – 9
Other – 13

That’s about the sum total and I’m sure people can analyse them further but the last 7 goals we’ve conceded have all been from set pieces.  Another thing the above proves is that Imp can describe goals in fewer words than me but I suppose that doesn’t surprise anyone!
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

League goals conceded this season Empty Goals scored this season

Post  Old Sod Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:03 am

Don't worry - I'm not going to list those! Looking through the NLP there is no other team at Steps 1, 2, 3 & 4 who have reached 100 goals this season. In Step 5 there's Thurnby Nirvana of the UCL, Basford in the Midland League, 5 at Step 6 including Barnstaple and 3 at Step 7.

This shows how well we have played this season and goals for is what I prefer to look at.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

League goals conceded this season Empty Re: League goals conceded this season

Post  Nubs Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:25 am

Old Sod wrote:Don't worry - I'm not going to list those!  Looking through the NLP there is no other team at Steps 1, 2, 3 & 4 who have reached 100 goals this season.  In Step 5 there's Thurnby Nirvana of the UCL, Basford in the Midland League, 5 at Step 6 including Barnstaple and 3 at Step 7.

This shows how well we have played this season and goals for is what I prefer to look at.

I think it's been said before on the Forum; as long as we score more goals than the opposition (at the right end)!, that's all that matters.
farao
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:37 am

Old Sod wrote: 
Another thing the above proves is that Imp can describe goals in fewer words than me but I suppose that doesn’t surprise anyone!

Or it just means you can talk faster than I can write.

Not counting crosses headed in from open play or corners, etc headed down before being put into the net, I make that 5 out of the last 10 goals resulting from corners or free kicks that have been headed straight into the net, with 1 in each of the last 3 games.

You can't say the presence or absence of Jamie Rewbury at the back makes any difference as they seem to have happened whether he's been in the team or not.

It also shows it wasn't something that was happening in the first half of the season.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:27 pm

Well I must say Prehistoric soil deposit, that there is devotion and there is devotion....to list these goals takes some doing and whilst I often imbibe to endure ' The Voice' .....if there was Statistician of the Year Award....I know would get my vote...Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Look - can you leave this sort of thing to Wanderin'. He has a reputation to maintain...! #Statto!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down