Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Didcot v MERTHYR

+15
CF34martyr
hirwaunman
Nubs
mandrake
stevie g
rustic
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
Merthyr Imp
Risca Martyr
DowlaisBoy
scamp
WorcesterMartyr
MartyrMann
Cyfarthfa
Solihull Martyr
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Didcot v MERTHYR - Page 2 Empty Re: Didcot v MERTHYR

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:31 am

At this stage last season we were on a run of three away wins in a row, but the following five away matches produced only two points. Let's just hope the reverse of that happens now.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Didcot v MERTHYR - Page 2 Empty didcot v merthyr

Post  stevie g Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:33 am

why is it like this when we go for promotion we fall apart

stevie g

Back to top Go down

Post  MartyrMann Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:37 am

stevie g wrote:why is it like this when we go for promotion we fall apart

We haven't fallen apart, still four points clear if we lose today, keep the faith!
MartyrMann
MartyrMann

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:38 am

Evesham now 4-1 up at Totton
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:39 am

Taunton next three matches are away and they are not easy games

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  mandrake Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:42 am

I did forecast this: garbage!
mandrake
mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:45 am

scamp wrote:Taunton next three matches are away and they are not easy games

But so are ours! Next 3 games could have a large bearing now on where we will finish, I'm still confident SJ will turn things around & put us back on winning ways. Remember we still have a game in hand, so we still hold the upper hand.

Last edited by KPT1950 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:50 am; edited 3 times in total

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:45 am

Surely we are not that bad.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:51 am

KPT1950 wrote:

But so are ours! Next 3 games could have a large bearing now on where we will finish.

Arguably today was the most difficult of this run of four away games (although some might say Bridgwater after last week's events!). I think we need a minimum of 5 points from the next 3 games, although 6 would be better.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:54 am

Lost 0-2

Evesham won 4-1 at AFC Totton
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  DowlaisBoy Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:55 am

Taunton won 2-1

Terrible week

DowlaisBoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:56 am

Stratford beat Tiverton 2-0
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:13 am

Merthyr Imp wrote:
KPT1950 wrote:

But so are ours! Next 3 games could have a large bearing now on where we will finish.

Arguably today was the most difficult of this run of four away games (although some might say Bridgwater after last week's events!). I think we need a minimum of 5 points from the next 3 games, although 6 would be better.

Yep agree with you there Malcolm. I just hope there is some provision within our present Budget Constraints for SJ to bring in a Proven/Quality Midfielder at this level for the Run In especially as Gavin will miss the next 3 games.

Our run of poor form has coincided with Ryan Newman's departure who as I said on a previous post last week has never been adequately replaced & we badly need a player of a similar quality for the remainder of the season to ensure we will win this league .Last season the Funds were found to bring in the likes of Gavin & Lee Idzi , hopefully SJ will be allowed to strengthen the team as well with a quality signing for the final push.

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:23 am

Sorry, no signal in the North East table-topper Shildon v West Auckland! (3rd v 1st, finished 2-2).

Not a great result; and those around did us no favours.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  DowlaisBoy Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:30 am

KPT1950 wrote:
Merthyr Imp wrote:
KPT1950 wrote:

Yep agree with you there Malcolm. I just hope there is some provision within our present Budget Constraints for SJ to bring in a Proven/Quality Midfielder at this level for the Run In especially as Gavin will miss the next 3 games.

Our run of poor form has coincided with Ryan Newman's departure who as I said on a previous post last week has never been adequately replaced & we badly need a player of a similar quality for the remainder of the season to ensure we will win this league .Last season the Funds were found to bring in the likes of Gavin & Lee Idzi , hopefully SJ will be allowed to strengthen the team as well with a quality signing for the final push.

I think we have different definitions of 'Poor form', Ryan Newman left in the first week of December we then lost the first game without him at home to evesham. Our form then reads W,W,W,W,W,W,D,W,W,W,W,D. So without ryan newman up until last Saturday vs Bridgewater, We won 10, drew 2 and lost 1. If we include the last 7 days then we have won 10, drew 2 and lost without Newman. Come on hardly poor form is it? More overreactions id say.

DowlaisBoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:43 am

Perhaps Dowlais Boy I explained myself badly, what I meant was that we have had to battle to win some of these games whilst earlier in the season we were winning these games easily. Agree with you the Form guide shows a healthy return.

Would settle for battling wins over the next 2 months to win this League, Onwards & Upwards to SS next week and hopefully a turnaround in form. I still believe that SJ will ensure we return to winning ways.

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:03 am

While it was a disappointing result today we maybe shouldn't start to panic yet - we'll wait until after the Swindon game next Tuesday night before we do that! We haven't heard any reports on today's match yet, but the worrying thing is it comes after the team was completely off form in the first half against Bridgwater last week, and by all accounts played poorly at North Leigh, although coming away with a point.

It does make you wonder if a change in tactics or formation is needed to freshen things up (e.g. as in the second half against Bridgwater), but with another game on Tuesday night this wouldn't be the time to do it - and as I said, we perhaps ought not to panic yet.

While I don't wholly agree with KPT about the departure of Ryan Newman making such a difference - because I feel we do have the players within the existing squad to succeed - maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to get a couple of players in. When Kyle Patten returns to Newport that would leave a vacancy, plus although Richard Evans hasn't let anybody down when he's been called upon to play he does rather seem to be just making the numbers up. So maybe another player could be brought in in his place. This is all assuming, of course that suitable players can be found and are available.

Most people would say we need a midfield player, as KPT says, to replace Ryan Newman, but I also wonder if we could do with a striker as back-up to Kayne McLaggon, as when Ryan Prosser is absent like today we have no alternative. Despite all Ian Traylor's goals he's not really the same type of player.

Well, we all like to think we can pick the team and manage it!

The trouble is of course we're all afraid of a repeat of last season.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Didcot v MERTHYR - Page 2 Empty didcot v merthyr

Post  stevie g Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:47 am

to bloody right with the last statement

stevie g

Back to top Go down

Post  mandrake Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:52 am

We are a bunch of softies: My grandparents could have beaten Didcot
mandrake
mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:57 am

Assuming Taunton win all their remaining 10 games, then we need 27 points from the 11 games we've got left to be assured of the title.
farao
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:06 pm

4mad.anubis wrote:Assuming Taunton win all their remaining 10 games, then we need 27 points from the 11 games we've got left to be assured of the title.
farao

Think 94 points will be enough to win the League, that means winning 7 of our last 11 games which we are certainly capable of doing.

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Didcot v MERTHYR - Page 2 Empty Didcot v MERTHYR

Post  hirwaunman Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:24 pm

There is bound to be some concern and apprehension that we are having a blip in form, because the club's progress means so much to us, because we have got used to winning and because of the disappointing anti-climax to the last two seasons. But there is no need for pessimism or panic, as we are still in a strong position at the top of the table. We must have confidence in the management team and players and do our bit by providing the kind of support and encouragement that was so evident at the Taunton game.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  CF34martyr Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:48 pm

hirwaunman wrote:There is bound to be some concern and apprehension that we are having a blip in form, because the club's progress means so much to us, because we have got used to winning and because of the disappointing anti-climax to the last two seasons. But there is no need for pessimism or panic, as we are still in a strong position at the top of the table. We must have confidence in the management team and players and do our bit by providing the kind of support and encouragement that was so evident at the Taunton game.

My thoughts exactly.
As Reesy's bar T shirt says - KEEP CALM AND SUPPORT MERTHYR TOWN

CF34martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:00 pm

Evesham and Stratford have had their blip in form, we've just finished ours, (positive thinking)! Apart from their defeat against us, Taunton are on a good run at the moment and, by the law of averages, are due for a loss of form before too long.
It was the same last season. Us, Cirencester and Tiverton were in the running for the title up to March, then Cirencester's form dropped. Tiverton kept winning but fell away and we all thought "Great, we're champions". But our form dipped and Cirencester pipped us to the title.
So hopefully, starting at Swindon on Tuesday, we can get back to winning ways, clinch the title before March is out, and have a promotion party at home to The Mangoes on April 4th. Very Happy
farao
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:52 pm

4mad.anubis wrote:Evesham and Stratford have had their blip in form, we've just finished ours, (positive thinking)! Apart from their defeat against us, Taunton are on a good run at the moment and, by the law of averages, are due for a loss of form before too long.
It was the same last season. Us, Cirencester and Tiverton were in the running for the title up to March, then Cirencester's form dropped. Tiverton kept winning but fell away and we all thought "Great, we're champions". But our form dipped and Cirencester pipped us to the title.
So hopefully, starting at Swindon on Tuesday, we can get back to winning ways, clinch the title before March is out, and have a promotion party at home to The Mangoes on April 4th. Very Happy
farao

4 of Taunton's next 5 games are away to North Leigh, Cinderford, Evesham & Larkhall. A difficult run of games, so hopefully they will begin their bad run as we have just finished ours & we can indeed look forward to a promotion party at Easter.

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next