Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MERTHYR v Taunton

+9
cliffyboy
PeterHarman
Admin
Old Sod
Merthyr Imp
Cyfarthfa
Nubs
stevie g
Solihull Martyr
13 posters

Go down

MERTHYR v Taunton Empty MERTHYR v Taunton

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:05 pm

Team: Bradley, Summerfield, Davies, Wright, Rewbury, Green, Jenkins, GavWill, McLaggon, Leek, Traylor. Subs: Evans, Harris, Bauza, Morgan, Prosser.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Taunton Empty Re: MERTHYR v Taunton

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:13 pm

1 up! Green half-volley from corner 5mins
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:59 pm

H/t 1-0. We could be more up after bossing the first quarter; more even since.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:17 pm

2-0! Traylor following corner. Hint of offside. 58mins.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:36 pm

2-1 free header on the back post. 75mins.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:59 pm

F/t 2-1
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Taunton Empty merthyr v taunton

Post  stevie g Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:50 pm

what the hell happened in the second half we scored and after that they just murdered us in the midfield in fact bossed the whole of the second half in all positions we were standing behind their goal in the second half and we needed a telescope to see any action

stevie g

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:07 pm

Well, a deserved win overall I think. Put through the mangle for rhe last 15 minutes. Crowd 1070.
9 points clear; 2 games in hand; superior goal difference. #livingthedream!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:09 pm

stevie g wrote:what the hell happened in the second half
Have to agree with you. We didn't really create much in the 2nd half.

But who cares. WE WON!
farao
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:23 pm

Great win, yes we dropped to deep after we scored the 2nd goal when we should have continued to pressure them and looked for the 3rd goal but having said that our keeper was rarely troubled which shows how disciplined and organised we are now under SJ.

So, well done SJ and the whole squad involved today.

Onwards and upwards, promotion is now that bit nearer, keep it going SJ you are doing a superb job.

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:35 pm

Today's team:

Bradley;
Summerfield,Green,Rewbury,Davies;
G.Williams,Wright
Traylor,Leek,Jenkins;
McLaggon;

Subs:
Morgan for Traylor after about 75 minutes
Harris for Leek after about 83 minutes
Prosser for McLaggon after about 86 minutes
Evans
Bauza

With Kyle Patten suspended for this match Jarrad Wright continued in midfield with Jamie Rewbury in defence.

After about 3 minutes Ian Traylor did well down the right, laying the ball back to Dan Summerfield for him to fire the ball across the area for a defender to narrowly put it past the far post. Gavin Williams took the corner which was challenged for by Jarrad Wright, and it fell for Ryan Green to double his goals tally for the season.

After about 7 minutes it was Kayne McLaggon this time doing well down the right, and his cross to the near post was dropped by the keeper before the ball was scrambled out for a corner.

We continued to look threatening with attacks down the right, and on about 22 minutes Kris Leek did well to beat his man and put the ball into the middle, but good defending prevented Kayne McLaggon from getting in a shot.

Taunton's only real moment of danger in the first half came when a player almost got free on the right of our area, but Ryan Green recovered well to snuff out the danger. Just on 45 minutes a good ball down the right by Gavin Williams set Corey Jenkins free, but his ball into the middle to Kris Leek was again defended well by Taunton.

It was a well-deserved half time lead, with Tom Bradley more a less a spectator.

After about 57 minutes we doubled our lead to make things more comfortable - for a time at least. From a corner on the left the ball was only half cleared by Taunton out to Jamie Rewbury beyond the far post. He lobbed it back in and it was headed on to Ian Traylor for him to score easily from close range at the far post, with a few appeals for offside by the Taunton players.

Taunton then began to come much more into the game as they proceeded to have their best spell, and it was no real surprise when they pulled a goal back - although disappointing it should have been headed straight in from a corner to the far post.

Ian Traylor had worked hard as usual, and he looked as if he had about run himself out when he was replaced by Kerry Morgan after about 75 minutes. We had more fresh legs about 8 minutes later when Matthew Harris came on for Kris Leek.

Taunton continued on top, and in a rare attack by us Kayne McLaggon went on a solo run from just over the half way line, having to take on a shot from 25 yards which flew about a yard over the bar. He had a touch of cramp following that, and was replaced by Ryan Prosser after about 86 minutes.

Taunton had most of the play after they scored, and with about 4 minutes added time we had some tense moments, mainly from long throw-ins, free kicks and corners, but if Taunton had defended well in the first half we did even better in the second and restricted them to very few efforts on target, with Tom Bradley again having little to do, although making one very good catch to a cross. Apart from Kayne McLaggon's effort we never really looked like scoring again, resorting to long balls forward, including from Tom Bradley as we seemed to give up the usual style of playing the ball out from the back. Whether that was from Taunton closing us down in that area and preventing it I don't know as I was at the other end.

But the really encouraging thing to me was the way we held firm under constant pressure, and all the back four deserved to be named man of the match, but I'd say Jarrad Wright who dominated midfield in the first half.

This was a very good win against quality opposition with some dangerous attackers, and in front of a tremendous crowd too.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:46 pm

Another 3 points on our relentless push towards the title. 

Not the best of games but we showed that we can defend well and it was disappointing to lose a goal to a far post header especially as we didn't seem to have anyone on the far post.  I missed the first goal as I was still manning the turnstile - I wish you buggers would come earlier - but it was great to hear the roar and I did see it second hand thanks to Peter's camera.  The second goal was well taken by Traylor after Taunton probably thought they cleared the danger.  Trayls was definitely onside as one of the Taunton defenders was a bit slow in coming out and I was in line with the incident, as was the lino.

We did sit back too much, in my opinion, after we got our second although Taunton did change their shape a bit and we didn't react.  Taunton scored with probably their only direct effort on goal but apart from that they rarely threatened Tom's goal and for that reason alone (and the scoreline of course) we were deserved winners.

Onwards & upwards to North Leigh on Wednesday and hopefully for yet another bumper crowd at the Park next Saturday when we take on Bridgwater.

You can come as late as you want next week as Mrs OS is going on a shopping expedition so I will be in sole charge of Wayne and won't be on the gate so if we do score early I'll be there to see it.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:55 pm

A superb effort by all volunteers at today's game, dealing with a big crowd.

The majority of those manning the gate and turnstiles, selling programmes, selling fifty fifty tickets, running the club shop, making tannoy announcements, running Holvey's, looking after sponsors , officials and visiting directors, stewarding the terraces and supporting team management are volunteers, some of whom miss quite a bit of the action, despite being season ticket holders. Apologies to those I might have missed.

On a day like to day with double the usual crowd, their task is harder than usual, and luckily things went smoothly.

They really are crucial to the club's continued development, and deserve our appreciation.

Admin
Admin

https://mtfcforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Taunton Empty MERTHYR vs Taunton

Post  PeterHarman Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:17 pm

Just uploaded some images from yesterday's game onto club web site.

PeterHarman

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:01 pm

Oh I forgot our expert photographer
I should also mention our loyal employees who put so much effort into ground management catering and bar services yesterday

Admin
Admin

https://mtfcforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:04 pm

A decent enough report in today's WOS, unfortunately the old picture printed has the wrong player, it's not Ian Traylor in the No 10 shirt, although he is in the picture!!

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Taunton Empty MERTHYR V Taunton

Post  hirwaunman Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:13 pm

Fully endorse the compliments paid to all volunteers and staff.
There was good weather, a good atmosphere, a real buzz around the ground and the right result. Brilliant!

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:28 pm

hirwaunman wrote:Fully endorse the compliments paid to all volunteers and staff.
There was good weather, a good atmosphere, a real buzz around the ground and the right result. Brilliant!

Agree 100%, well done & thank you to everyone for your hard work yesterday, pleasure to be there.

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:29 pm

That is why the Club is so successful- run by the people for the people- these volunteers are the kind of people that put the Great into Britain....Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:45 pm

More photos of yesterday's game courtesy of Viv Curtis:-

www.flickr.com/photos/90186291@N04/sets/72157650413842989

farao
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  RJONES90 Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:21 pm

Another class result infront of a big crowd. Let the good times roll
RJONES90
RJONES90

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:47 pm

Old Sod wrote:
The second goal was well taken by Traylor after Taunton probably thought they cleared the danger.  Trayls was definitely onside as one of the Taunton defenders was a bit slow in coming out

Yes - looking at the videos of the goals on the club website (thanks to John Jenkins for putting them there) it looks as if there was a defender just visible beyond the main group of players who was playing him on. The same player who cleared the ball out to where Jamie Rewbury had read the situation and turned it back across.

Ryan Green's goal was well taken by him.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:27 am

And both corners illegal?
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:13 am

Old Sod wrote:And both corners illegal?

Law 5 states:

'The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play... are final'

The referee evidently didn't consider them illegal, so by definition they can't have been.

I rest my case.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Taffia Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:42 pm

Merthyr Imp wrote:
Old Sod wrote:And both corners illegal?

Law 5 states:

'The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play... are final'

The referee evidently didn't consider them illegal, so by definition they can't have been.

I rest my case.

The referee didn't consider them illegal, only because he did not check. Had he done so, the ball would have been placed correctly. He was following the FIFA 'advice' about where to stand. Referees these days will always stand somewhere near to the edge of the 'D' at corners. Just watch any game on TV. Always at the point of the 'D' furthest away from the assistant. If players using the brains, like GW, have twigged this, then good luck to them. Lazy refereeing. On the same side as the assistant, this would have been pulled up or he is not doing his job. (The ball should be placed on or behind the quadrant drawn. In front of and overhanging the quadrant is also illegal.)
Taffia
Taffia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum