Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frozen Watergate

Go down

Frozen Watergate Empty Frozen Watergate

Post  Boz1964 Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:57 am

In Swindon yesterday were no weapons of mass destruction , nor were there any signs on the ground of the Evesham Abominable snow-keeper, or that Man had landed on the Moon.

In truth there was no signs of a frozen pitch either.

After checking the Forum at around 1030am the Town Website, Swindon Supermarine Twitter and the reliable weather reports of the BBC Swindon, I was surprised to arrive at the 'Bakewell' Ground in Swindon to find that the game was off.

The fact that there were only five cars in the car park did not disturb me , as they are not blessed with the biggest home support in the league,.

True , there were no signs of our coach on the M4 ( we normally chug past the coach complying with speed regulations at 60-60) but we had set off early in case of traffic .

Whilst there was nobody there , there were no signs up that the game was off.

In our blind enthusiasm that the game would still be played we kicked the earth bank which showed no signs of ice or frost.

Owens did an impression of a Police Giraffe and peered over the fence , expecting to see a polar ice sheet covering the playing surface - but there was none.

There was no sign of Captain Oates frozen to death mere yards from back of the refreshment shack..

No sign of Nigel Gatekeeper in his red n green cat in the hat headware , his sleigh or his reindeer team.

No penguins ( only in my lunch box) , polar bears , snow ploughs , UKIP rally meeting, or even David Jason in character.

The least 'Frosty' Reception I have ever had at an away ground.

I can only assume Swindon is the worst place on the Planet to be affected by rapid Global Warming.

Or the volunteer Marine NAAFI girls took a leaf out of the Alfredton Cookbook and ruined those cakes I was so looking forward too.

The day wasn't completly ruined though as my Uncle GGGGranville being an ex-sSERVICES man enjoyed his stable diet of two sausage , three chips and four baked beans at Leigh Delamare Services (Open All Hours) , even if it did cost him £120.00 .

Spending his entire 2p pension increase from the Government in one blowout.

The little profligate spendthrift that he has become.

Disappointing day but no harm done- except to the club takings at Swindon which will hit them in the pocket deeply.

No points dropped, goals conceded or humble Swindon 'pie' eaten.

No one in Merthyr or in the North Pole of Wiltshire, reality wanted the game to be off , players, managers or fans alike, but my conspiracy theory is that after the Welsh Egg- chasers Six Nations opener last night , most Welshmen were too embarrassed to show their faces the wrong side of the Severn Bridge yesterday .

The Welsh Rugby Team didn't come out for the second half so we decided not to show for the first .

Boz

But the day wasn't a complete

Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down