Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Watch - Fleet Town

2 posters

Go down

Media Watch - Fleet Town Empty Media Watch - Fleet Town

Post  Wandering Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:13 am

“Sometimes you don't get what you deserve in football and today in my opinion is one of them days!” was the comment made by Craig Davis, manager of Fleet Town, after our narrow win at Calthorpe Park in December. “I ask my lads to give everything, work for each other, enjoy what they are doing and with that the performance will happen and the result invariably follows”

Well his philosophy has recently proved correct with two away wins in the space of four days – a 3-1 Aldershot Senior Cup victory against Ashford Town (Middlesex) on Tuesday that followed a 2-1 win at Wantage last weekend. So Fleet will arrive in South Wales with some confidence but with several players missing their limited resources are stretching to breaking point.

“We are absolutely scratching around for players, we don't carry a big squad and we have a virtual nil budget” said Davis after the game against Ashford. “We have Rossi who left at Christmas, James Scott leaves us for a month after tonight, my injury is unlikely to have healed, Mark Watkins is away at a wedding, Simba we await the hospital results, Harry Davies still out and Harrison Shade recalled by Aldershot, that's 7 starters gone from the side who could/would have played against Merthyr. We have to get on with it, we will work on a plan on Thursday and do our very best against a good side, I know the lads are looking forward to it and as always will give me and the club everything.”

In some respects we have recently experienced the same problems as our visitors with players unavailable due to work commitments, mid-season holidays, suspensions and injuries. But we are extremely fortunate that we have been able to bring in two short-term loan signings to strengthen our playing resources.

One area of the team that has been hit more than any other has been mid-field. In many ways, one of our biggest strengths as we have been able to control games through the way that we operate in mid-field. There are a number of reasons for this. Firstly, I think we can all value the contribution Gavin Williams has made. He’s brought stability and subtlety to a midfield which previously lacked some guile and control. Largely due to his ability to always find space and make time for himself when he has the ball, he drives forward his colleagues by setting the high standards that others work hard to emulate.

Yet for Kris Leek the game couldn’t be more simplistic. If there is a team mate open, he passes to them. If a space needs filling, he fills it. If a tackle needs to be made, he makes it. If there’s a gap available he’ll run into it and take the ball with him. He’s the metronome that sets the tempo in midfield. In fact, I can’t help but wonder how Leek might have performed alongside Danny Carter, Kevin Rogers or Ian Docherty.

But I think the other predominant reason for the positive displays in midfield has quite simply been the continuity. If one of Gavin, Matty or Leekie has been unavailable added to the loss of Ryan Newman, then Bauza, Jarrod Wright and recently Richard Evans have been able to step in. Each brings different qualities to that midfield three and once familiarity builds, then those qualities become harmonised.

Each player appreciates one another’s strengths. For example, Matty can sit at the base of the triangle and Gavin can play further forward; because of his vision and passing ability. While Gavin has also played the screening role to great effect when Matty hasn’t been available.

It’s OK for a midfielder to make a surging run as long as his team mates understand they have to drop back to cover him. The Martyrs midfield, by and large has achieved this synchronisation. Very rarely have we been guilty of the cardinal sin and over-committed ourselves, to be caught on the counter attack – Didcot in the FA Trophy game at PP is probably a good example when we failed to abide by this rule.

At the head of the midfield trio has been Leek, who continues to be extremely impressive. For a start, he has that burst of energy and injection of pace to carry him beyond defenders into the box. He takes some of the defensive load off the wide men because when not in possession he presses as high up the pitch as possible. But it’s his physical strength and positive mental attitude that are his key characteristics.

“We all know it’s an extremely difficult task for us, they are far and away the best side in the league and will win it I'm sure” added Craig Davis in mid-week. “Obviously we have to adjust to the 3G surface which is different. Not an early excuse, it's a fact that it is different, however, what would we rather play on a mud-heap or a dustbowl at the end of the season, or play on a fantastic playing surface like that and a lovely stadium with a big crowd? Anyone who moans or says anything different is being ridiculous, we will look forward to it. The lads’ are also not having to pay their own way to a game for the first time in the league this season, so I'm sure they are even more pleased.”

Last edited by Wandering on Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Media Watch - Fleet Town Empty Re: Media Watch - Fleet Town

Post  Merthyr Imp Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:55 am

Wandering wrote:
Well his philosophy has recently proved correct with two away wins in the space of four days – a 3-1 Aldershot Senior Cup victory against Ashford Town (Middlesex) on Tuesday that followed a 2-1 win at Wantage last weekend.

Er - sorry, but Fleet actually LOST by 2-1 at home to Wantage last week.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down