Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merthyr Town v Wrexham - Supporters Direct Cup

+12
cliffyboy
PeterHarman
Dial M For Merthyr Zine
Old Sod
Nubs
WSCEvans
Solihull Martyr
Cyfarthfa
Merthyr Imp
CF48 MARTYR
WorcesterMartyr
MartyrMann
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Merthyr Town v Wrexham - Supporters Direct Cup Empty Merthyr Town v Wrexham - Supporters Direct Cup

Post  MartyrMann Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:48 pm

This coming Saturday(2nd August), we host Wrexham in the Supporters Direct Cup, kick off is 3:00pm at the Cigg-E Stadium
MartyrMann
MartyrMann

Back to top Go down

Merthyr Town v Wrexham - Supporters Direct Cup Empty Re: Merthyr Town v Wrexham - Supporters Direct Cup

Post  WorcesterMartyr Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:53 pm

I think it's worth pointing out that Wrexham 1st team are at home at The Racecourse on Friday 1st August at 7.45pm. On Saturday 2nd August it is the club's Open Day with a Q&A to fans by the first team manager at 1pm. All of this indicates that Wrexham will bring a development squad to Merthyr on Saturday, which is a pity. Nevertheless it should be a good run out for the boys in their final pre season game before the league starts at home to Wimborne Town the following Saturday.

WorcesterMartyr

Back to top Go down

Merthyr Town v Wrexham - Supporters Direct Cup Empty Merthyr Town v Wrexham - Supporters Direct Cup

Post  CF48 MARTYR Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:20 am

I think its more important to point out that its a chance to win Silverware for our club :-) which is what many clubs will strive and fail to do in their entire existance.

Also Wrexham are still a full time professional club and should provide a good test for us part timers whatever side they send down.

Its also a final chance for our lads to stake their claim for a starting place in Steve Jenkins side next Saturday which from a Martyrs fan point of view will be fascinating I am sure.

Tommorow for me is about celebration of supporters direct, and a celebration of fan ownership, and we & Wrexham have acheived in short space of time, if we were playing Abertonateg Terries (apologses if this team exists) it wouldnt matter to many, or even anyone who would attend tommorows match.

Without supporters football is nothing

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Merthyr Town v Wrexham - Supporters Direct Cup Empty Re: Merthyr Town v Wrexham - Supporters Direct Cup

Post  CF48 MARTYR Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:36 am

Also further to the above, its worth noting that Wales international manager Chris Coleman will be in attendance at the game, with former Welsh International & current Sky football pundit Barry Horne also coming to the game to add a bit of Wrexham persuasion to the event.

Heres to a good day, some good football, bit of sunshine if we are lucky, bust most importantly a celebration of what we & Wrexham have acheived as clubs since Fan Ownership

Look forward to the future with optimism

UPTHETOWN

Steve Jenkins Barmy Army

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:00 pm

An 16-page match programme will be available for this match - well worth £1.50.

It will include:

* Secretary's notes

A history of Wrexham FC

* All you need to know about the Supporters Direct Cup

* A 'Memory Lane' match featuring a previous friendly match against Wrexham

* A feature on Merthyr Town v Wrexham in the Welsh Cup Final 90 years ago.

* Fixture list for the new season

* A brief feature on Gordon Davies - arguably the most notable player to have turned out for both the Martyrs and the visitors

As usual, copies of the programme can also be supplied by post on application to John Strand: strand@salisburyclose.fsnet.co.uk
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Cyfarthfa Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:40 am

CF48 MARTYR wrote:I think its more important to point out that its a chance to win Silverware for our club :-) which is what many clubs will strive and fail to do in their entire existance.

Also Wrexham are still a full time professional club and should provide a good test for us part timers whatever side they send down.

Its also a final chance for our lads to stake their claim for a starting place in Steve Jenkins side next Saturday which from a Martyrs fan point of view will be fascinating I am sure.

Tommorow for me is about celebration of supporters direct, and a celebration of fan ownership, and we & Wrexham have acheived in short space of time,  if we were playing Abertonateg Terries (apologses if this team exists) it wouldnt matter to many, or even anyone who would attend tommorows match.

Without supporters football is nothing

Congratulations & well done to everyone who has contributed over the past 10 yrs in helping us to achieve and maintain our aim of OWNING OUR FOOTBALL CLUB. let's all celebrate today with our fellow supporters from Wrexham who like us have achieved their dream also.

Looking forward to the future with real optimism, I'm sure SJ will help us to achieve our aim this season of Premier League status.

Cyfarthfa

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:52 am

h/t 1-0 mcglaggon 3min
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:58 am

Robins mainly U21s - all ex football pros I'm told.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  MartyrMann Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:32 am

Ft - Merthyr Town 3-2 Wrexham - Goals from McLaggon, Traylor and MacDonald
MartyrMann
MartyrMann

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:08 pm

Some outstanding football by Merthyr and this season we are looking strong pre-season. McDonald again gave a solid display in the 2nd half, and scored a blinder in fact all of the Martyrs goals were outstanding. up the town ! Very Happy 
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  MartyrMann Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:26 pm

Let the headache begin for SJ now in picking his final squad for the start of the season Very Happy 
MartyrMann
MartyrMann

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:25 pm

Soz lost signal

Told Robins had essentially a U21 side out, albeit virtually all football league ex-pros. I remember the days when we used to sign ex-pros at both ends of their career...!

Anyhow, 1 up at half time (goal after 3 mins). 3-0 up on the hour. Worrying thing must be how Wrexham came back into it - their second coming around 86mins, which must have made an uncomfortable finish. Sill, this is Merfa.

Surprised OS hasn't struck one up by now - or perhaps he has, which is why his report is so late!!

Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Nubs Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Disappointed to have missed the game today. A good result for the boys. Shall await the O.S. report with anticipation.
farao
Merthyr Town v Wrexham - Supporters Direct Cup Grey%5E_%5Earial%5E_%5E0%5E_%5E0%5E_%5ECmon you Martyrs.%5E_%5E
Nubs
Nubs

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:36 am

The Imp usually does the home game reports and I was sans Dickyphone yesterday but here goes anyway. 

I missed the first 5 minutes as I had to return unsold 50/50 tickets and the cash for the prize to Hylene so I didn't see Kayne's opener.  I did see Peter's photo of the goal which shows that it was over the line but have no idea how it came about.  However by the time half time came we were more than worthy of the lead and we could have had more.  Gavin, Matt & Newms were pulling the strings in midfield and Trayls & Kerry were playing well on the flanks and Kayne was making a right nuisance of himself in the middle.  The Wrexham keeper made a few good saves including one from Adam Davies who worked well with Traylor on the left and he ran onto a good ball but the keeper did well to save at Davies's feet.  Tubbs & Jarrad were dangerous from corners/free kicks and got in some good headers and were also sound defensively along with Davies & Dan.  Bradley had little to do as Wrexham struggled to get forward and all I can remember is one save from a longish range shot which he caught easily.  Newman sent in one good shot from about 20 yards which whistled past the Wrexham's keeper's left hand post and Kerry also sent in a good effort which went just wide.  Wrexham gave away a few free kicks with some poor tackles, particularly on Gavin but we couldn't take advantage of these set plays.

Gavin was replaced at half time by McDonald and he was very busy in midfield and he, Newms & Matthew were send through some lovely balls forward and we were playing some very good stuff.  Our second came when Traylor picked the ball up in the centre of the field and from about 25 yards he sent in a superb shot which the keeper, who was about 4 yards off his line, got his hand to but he couldn't prevent it soaring into the top left hand corner of his net for an excellent goal.  Better was to come when after Wrexham cleared their lines with a high ball out there seemed to be little danger but McDonald hit it on the volley from a similar distance to Traylor's shot but this one barely left the ground as it motored through and it was nestling in the right hand corner of the Wrexham goal before anyone could move.  Superb technique and an excellent goal.  That effectively sealed the game and we made a few substitutions with Marcus, Warlow, Jenkins came on replacing Kerry, Traylor & Dan and although we continued to come forward we did get rather sloppy at the back and allowed Wrexham back into it, very similar to when happened at home to Yate last season when we let a 2 goal lead slip to draw 3-3.  A mix up in our area involving Bradley & his defence allowed a Wrexham forward a free shot into an empty net from about 4 yards and then a Wrexham player was left free by our far post and had a relatively simple tap in after a low cross from their right was allowed to travel across our area.  We easily held on for a deserved win and won our first trophy of the season before the season even starts!

We played some lovely stuff and could have had more goals but did get a bit slipshod at the back towards the end when we eased off a little and that needs to be eradicated for our league campaign.  Again it was very difficult to fault anyone on show today and it does look promising for the season ahead. 

I don't know how many were there yesterday but I was disappointed with the turnout and I hope we get a few more for our first home league game against Wimborne next week
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Dial M For Merthyr Zine Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:21 am

Thanks to everyone who made yesterday such a success.

Fantastic to see the club presented with South Wales club of the year award too at half time.

Plus we were presented with the Welsh Youth League winners plaque for last season's successful Under-19 team.

Hopefully that will be the first silverware of many this season.

Dial M For Merthyr Zine

Back to top Go down

Merthyr Town v Wrexham - Supporters Direct Cup Empty MERTHYR TOWN vs Wrexham - Supporters Direct Cup

Post  PeterHarman Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:23 am

Just posted some images from the game on the club web site

PeterHarman

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:05 am

Good pics as usual Peter - top man. What was the attendance at yesterdays game  Question 

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  MartyrMann Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:49 am

cliffyboy wrote:Good pics as usual Peter - top man. What was the attendance at yesterdays game  Question 

Yeah, I agree Cliff  Very Happy 
MartyrMann
MartyrMann

Back to top Go down

Merthyr Town v Wrexham - Supporters Direct Cup Empty first goal photo

Post  jeffh Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:15 am

Great photos . Ones of opening goal shows us what could not see,Clear goal!

jeffh

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:54 am

Been informed it was a poor turnout for the match, about 150. Not one word in WOS today concerning the game but plenty of space for Spurs, Arsenal & Man City friendly games!
Welsh newspaper? Yeah right!!!!!

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:22 am

Was not at yesterdays match wedding. Not mine.Probably the club needs to send in a report of match these days as there are few reporters around.As far as the crowd is concerned I think being let down by failing to get promotion and the way we caved in at the end has not helped matters.

scamp

Back to top Go down

Merthyr Town v Wrexham - Supporters Direct Cup Empty attendance

Post  jeffh Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:41 am

The figure seems to not given, but normaly 50/50 prize gives an idea, tht was over £120 so either there were double that figure attending or more are buying what is an exellant draw for a non league club.

jeffh

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:42 am

scamp wrote:.Probably the club needs to send in a report of match these days as there are few reporters around.

There was plenty about it in last week's Merthyr Express, and reports on most if not all the friendlies have appeared there too.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Dial M For Merthyr Zine Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:54 am

The crowd was estimated at just over 300.

Dial M For Merthyr Zine

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:35 pm

Yes I would say 300 is about right.
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next