Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last of the summer wine

3 posters

Go down

Last of the summer wine Empty Last of the summer wine

Post  Boz1964 Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:43 am

Well it was great entertainment not only in deepest Oxfordshire but also for us 'homers' at Penydarren Park too where the veteran over 60s teams Wales played England in a thrilling 3 3 draw.

Wales were up by 3 at half time and it was a tactical master stroke by their coach who told them to stop playing from memory and aim at the real goals and not where the goals were positioned on the Theatre End fifty years ago.

It was the first time I have seen a veterans match on 3G and in fairness they tried real hard and got around the pitch quicker on their Zimmer than I could manage on my two feet.

I have heard of the Japanese team Grampus Eight but this was the first time I had ever seen Grampas 22 with rolling subs and lookalikes for Newsreader Reginald Bosanquet , Barry Chuckle and each of the cast of the Last of the Summer Wine.

Merthyr has often been accused unfairly of seeking compo all the time from trips and falls but these guys went down in stages not with a view to getting their opponents booked or sent off.

There were no hospital passes on the pitch ...merely bus ones.

My favourite player though was the slick midfield general who was a walking advert for Grecian 2000.

He didn't have a solitary grey hair on his head as this English gentleman could have been a Wigon Athletic player as he didn't come unstuck even if he was reluctant to header the ball.

A game played in true sporting fashion ... it reminded me of Bolton Wanderers v Blackpool- the Stanley Mathews Cup Final- where the shorts were longer than the daylight on the pitch.

After watching these legends gracing our '' field of dreams' today....it was yet more evidence of the Clubs transformation into a community club.

It shows that sport is for all whatever age you think you are....a great sporting and at times comedic contest...

Well done all concerned....

Best game I have seen this season....played with smiles and respect....that is what sport is all about.

Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Last of the summer wine Empty FOOTBALL AT IT'S BEST

Post  OWNES1 Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:35 am

TOTALLY AGREE WITH THE ABOVE. TACKLES THAT WOULD BE OUTLAWED TODAY, NO DIVING AND NO MOANING AT THE REF AND A SHAKE OF THE HAND AFTER AND NOT THE NECK, DID NOT SEE ANY OF THE PLAYERS PARENTS THERE.

OWNES1

Back to top Go down

Last of the summer wine Empty Re: Last of the summer wine

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:43 am

And don't forget Merthyr Tydfil Veterans play in The over 45s Welsh league at Pentrebach. Check Wales Veterans football site for fixture details and go along. You will be surprised at the standard. Free admission.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Last of the summer wine Empty Re: Last of the summer wine

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum