Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Watch - Yate Town

4 posters

Go down

Media Watch - Yate Town Empty Media Watch - Yate Town

Post  Wandering Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:48 am

We briefly leave behind the league campaign tomorrow as we embark on the start of the FA Trophy trail. Hopefully, we play our final game at The Causeway against a Yate team who have already reached the Third Qualifying Round of the FA Cup this season.

The financial incentive at stake will be important for the club after the potential loss of revenue from the FA Cup exit at Bridgwater.

A week long break from competitive football has provided an ideal opportunity for injured players to benefit from a recovery programme although Allan Griffiths and Ryan Newman are still missing with long term injuries. Hopefully, Gary Colbourne will be fully fit after suffering concussion in the Paulton game with Matthew Harris and Nathan Davies the only other concerns.

Although unconfirmed rumours have circulated about a few new faces being added to the squad there has been no official news released by the Club.

Last edited by Wandering on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Media Watch - Yate Town Empty Re: Media Watch - Yate Town

Post  Wandering Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:50 am

Yate Town boss Rob Cousins knows his side will have to hit the heights that saw them cause an FA Cup upset at Bideford Town last weekend, if they are to enjoy any extended run in the FA Trophy.

Cousins' side face a difficult preliminary round engagement at Merthyr Town tomorrow – but make the trip high on confidence after coming from behind to see off high-flying Premier Division side Bideford Town last weekend.

Cousins said: "It was a great win for us. We worked hard to stay in the game at times when we were under pressure and didn't fall apart when we conceded a goal. The lads managed to maintain their belief and I think we deserved our two goals at a time when we were very strong towards the end of the game."

Yate lost 3-2 when they entertained Merthyr in a league game earlier this season.

Cousins added: "It'll be a very tough game. They are probably the best side we have played this season. They have a good core of experience running through the team and their passing and movement is very good."

Cousins is likely to be without midfielder Martin Lenahan and assistant player manager Michael Meaker, while goalkeeper Josh Dempsey has left the club to join Cadbury Heath after losing the number one spot to Martin Horsell.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:53 am

Merthyr Town face tough run starting with FA Trophy clash at Yate Town
Wales On Line

Merthyr Town face a tough run of four matches in 11 days, starting against Yate Town in the FA Trophy tomorrow (3pm). But by the end of that gruelling run of fixtures the Martyrs will be happy to be back playing at their own Penydarren Park home.

Merthyr are technically at home against Yate tomorrow, but that is also the final match they will play at Cinderford Town’s Causeway Stadium. They were forced to groundshare while a new 3G synthetic pitch was laid at their newly-named Cigg-e Stadium in Merthyr.

Now the new surface is ready for action and Fifa have given their approval. That came too late to allow tomorrow’s clash with Yate to be staged there, but Merthyr will return home on Tuesday, October 15, when Shortwood United will be visitors for a Red Insure League Cup tie.

Merthyr’s fixtures before they head back home are against Yate at Cinderford tomorrow, Clevedon Town away next Monday and then Guildford City away on Saturday, October 12.

The matches at Clevedon and Guildford are both in the Southern League where the Martyrs are a hugely-creditable fifth despite having played every fixture away so far this season.

Merthyr go into tomorrow’s Trophy clash against Yate full of confidence having beaten the South Gloucestershire team 3-2 away in a league match.

The Martyrs have also fired three goals in four of their last five fixtures played at Cinderford.

Their latest triumph came 3-1 against Fleet Town when goals from Jamie Rewbury, Ryan Prosser and Ian Traylor gave them a deserved victory.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:08 am

What about the Cardiff game?

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:44 am

Tim Drummond wrote:What about the Cardiff game?
Perhaps they're like me and don't count friendly matches.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:24 am

I am not a big fan of them. I suppose the City game is all about bringing some cash in (and they are charging only £5) but it could mean four games for the players in eight days!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:31 pm

I thought the new player/players talk started with the management team.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:04 pm

rustic wrote:I thought the new player/players talk started with the management team.
“We are actively looking to strengthen our squad and the team,” said Shephard. “Our aim is to bring in fresh players and if we do that then others may leave. We told the players that after the Paulton game and Danny and I want a reaction in training and matches over the next couple of weeks.”

Although the coaching staff clearly specified their intention to bring in new-faces, there has been no official confirmation that the Club has actually signed anyone. Therefore, any speculation is based on innuendo.

It is clearly the coaching staff's intention to continuously improve the way that the team performs and we would all expect the management team to always be 'actively looking to strengthen the squad'.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Thank you,but i dont think anyone said players had been signed but the Merthyr Express named a player where they it from i dont know.cheers

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down