Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swindon home Tuesday 30 April

+8
P45
MattMartyr87
muscles76
Merthyr Imp
Martyr Weaver
Tim Drummond
Boz1964
Jamie Mack
12 posters

Go down

Swindon home Tuesday 30 April Empty Swindon home Tuesday 30 April

Post  Jamie Mack Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:07 am

Kick off is 7.45pm Tuesday. Season tickets do not apply for Tuesday.

Under league rules the gate is shared between 2 clubs and the league, so season tickets not allowed.

Jamie Mack
Admin

Back to top Go down

Swindon home Tuesday 30 April Empty Re: Swindon home Tuesday 30 April

Post  Boz1964 Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:35 pm

What about ' cup' cakes....please tell me they are to be shared too....because the purple rinse brigade at Swindon Supermarine are master bakers....three years ago....I came back from the final game in our old incarnation three stone heavier.....bring on the opposition....hopefully we can 'mix' it with them on and off the pitch.....let's put the icing on the cake and win Tuesday night......boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:21 pm

It will be interesting to see what sort of attendance there will be.......

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Swindon home Tuesday 30 April Empty Re: Swindon home Tuesday

Post  Martyr Weaver Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:42 pm

My Guess the attendance will be about 450, maybe 500.

Tim' rightly complains about our crowds being down this season, but we were the only team in the league with an average of over 300; Poole managed 287, but you must feel sorry for Bishops Cleeve with an average of just 67, Abingdon with 79, and North Leigh with 78, and there were three other teams with averages of below 100 !!! At an average of £8 admission fee it would equate to something like a £67k loss in a season compared to our gate takings.

PS: I just checked and guess what our average attendance was when Merthyr Tydfil were last in the Southern league Premier Division in the 2009 - 2010 season, "306"; this season it's "302": so we have really only lost 4 supporters!

Last edited by Martyr Weaver on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Martyr Weaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm not very optimistic myself. Based on recent attendances, and bearing in mind it's an evening match I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's much over 400.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Swindon home Tuesday 30 April Empty Re: Swindon Town at Home Tuesday

Post  Martyr Weaver Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:59 am

I think that you will be pleasantly surprised; I have managed to get three lapsed supporters to come with me; one guy has not been up the Park since we were relegated from the Conference! If we all encourage as many as possible to come and give their support, and stress how important it is that we win this game, then I'm sure we can get a good 500 there !!

Martyr Weaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:43 am

Yes, our gates are about the same as when we were in the Premier Division of the SL and struggling near the bottom, having been deducted 10 points for going into administration.
Bishops Cleeve's population is only 15,000 so I can't ever see them enjoying large gates.
Our rivals are envious of our gates but it shows how attendances have tumbled over the years at this level of football.
And when we do have a big crowd, usually once a season at best, we never seem to hold on to the extra fans to increase our supporters base.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  muscles76 Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:39 am

well a good performance and a final win and promotion might just bring a few back .
i reckon 450- 500 i reckon they will come out... Very Happy

muscles76

Back to top Go down

Post  MattMartyr87 Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:46 am

It's a very interesting period for football in Wales. It's never been as popular as it is. Obviously Cardiff/Swansea are the big attractions but I think if we ALL try to spread the word whether it's on Facebook, Twitter, word of mouth, around the schools and college's then I'm sure we can attract a bigger crowd.

A lot of Cardiff fans are pissed off with whats happening down there, let's pick them. It's difficult to find the balance of old school football with a hint modern football. Get that balance right and we are flying! Very Happy Very Happy

MattMartyr87

Back to top Go down

Swindon home Tuesday 30 April Empty swindon home tuesday 30 april

Post  P45 Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:21 am

A lot of people...I want call them fans as they gain free entry to the ground as nobody is manning the turnstiles/gate 20 minutes after kick off, last home game myself and 3 supporters counted 30 people walking up the drive.

P45

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:00 pm

if this is happening on a regular basis which is probably the case then at eight pound each that is 240 pound a game which over a season is about five grand Shocked Shocked

scamp

Back to top Go down

Swindon home Tuesday 30 April Empty Re: Swindon at Home Tuesday.

Post  Martyr Weaver Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm

There are always those who wont spend a penny if they can avoid it; I guess that the only way you can ensure that these people don't get in for free is to have paid turn-style operators, who are not interested in watching the game, and would stay on the gate until well after half time; then so that you can trust them not to fiddle the receipts, the club would have to use numbered tickets, and be able to account for all those tickets in gate money. By the time the cost of fool proofing the system is taken in to account, we would probably end up not be saving any money but it would cost money to run. It's a pity that you cant just lock the gates but Health and Safety wont allow for that, in case a vehicle has to leave the ground in an emergency, or the emergency services have to get into the ground! All you can do is try your best to discourage free loaders!

Martyr Weaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz1964 Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:21 pm

If they are real fans ....real martyrs then they will pay....as for health and safety....I find it somewhat strange that the gates cannot be closed or locked.....for forty five minutes duration.....surely as long as there are key holders available on site.....but after all we are a community club now and not a cash cow for any private individual.....let's hope the fairweather fans come out in force .....all donations great fully received....non Malaysian red birds...Swansea emus...or Barry turkeys all are welcome at penydarren park....there is no pecking order.....boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  supermerthyr Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:22 am

hope everyone pays i know a few who dont pay seen then walking in 25 mins into the game. im a season ticket holder and its not nice when see people not paying and we paid 130 pounds for the season. hope these people get their money out tonight

supermerthyr

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:43 am

P45 wrote: A lot of people...I want call them fans as they gain free entry to the ground as nobody is manning the turnstiles/gate 20 minutes after kick off, last home game myself and 3 supporters counted 30 people walking up the drive.

There will be a lot more than 30 tonight walking up the drive!!

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Swindon home Tuesday 30 April Empty swndon home 30 april

Post  joan of ark Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:23 am

And I'm bringing Justin Martyr with me. He's an early Church Father. So 2 martyrs.

joan of ark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum