Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MERTHYR v Taunton

+9
Royston Rogers
Old Sod
Tim Drummond
Merthyr Imp
Boz1964
Markymark88
joan of ark
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
Solihull Martyr
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

MERTHYR v Taunton - Page 2 Empty Re: MERTHYR v Taunton

Post  Tim Drummond Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:58 pm

Re the attendance again: We have to remember that Merthyr town area has a population of 30,000 and the county borough total is 55,000. Clevedon has a population of 22,000, Bishops Cleeve a little less than 10,000. Poole has a population of about 30,000.
Other teams in our division are part of smaller areas than Merthyr and we rely a great deal on a lot of fans who come from outside Merthyr.
As stated previously, promotion or not, Merthyr Town will need more income next season to maintain their progress on the field.
I don't know how many Everton fans there are in Merthyr, even among those who have Sky TV!!
The point is that because of bad weather, postponements have meant more midweek games which have resulted in reduced income (as well as extra use of floodlights).Clubs from areas which have considerably smaller populations can attract 100 to 140 on some Tuesday nights whereas Merthyr with a much bigger population draw just 100 or so extra.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Taunton - Page 2 Empty Merthyr v Taunton

Post  Boz1964 Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Some interesting comments....with the run in fixtures the way they are it is still possible that we will overtake paulton ( likely) and Swindon ( possibly) ....and that would bring with it an economic boost with a home draw...that should be our aim....Alan griffiths had a good game out of position and whilst I agree jack Howe did well....and seems to pinch the ball with his nimble gazelle like Stot... But he also has the tendency to gamble and if he misses the ball leaves rewbs exposed to pace....but all round happy with the team and squad efforts.....doing the club and our town proud....nice to see old ex supporters being chastised too.....the club is bigger than anyone....and hopefully will be around after all our days....boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

MERTHYR v Taunton - Page 2 Empty Merthyr v Taunton

Post  Boz1964 Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Well Tim I am an everton fan with sky tv...but that is what sky plus is for....Merthyr football club home fixtures are what matters to me and unless I have a very good reason....I will always be there....I even rushed back from Durham once to catch the last 15 minutes of one game....didnt pay that time...but I always make up for i in other ways... I support Merthyr Everton and whoever s playing Liverpool in that order.....boz

Last edited by Boz1964 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Tim Drummond wrote:Re the attendance again: We have to remember that Merthyr town area has a population of 30,000 and the county borough total is 55,000. Clevedon has a population of 22,000, Bishops Cleeve a little less than 10,000. Poole has a population of about 30,000.

Actually - according to figures on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poole) - Poole has a population of nearly 140,000. When I first saw that I did wonder if that figure was combined with Bournemouth, but the latter has a separate population of 168,000.

When I came to research this sort of stuff for the articles I do in the programme I was surprised to find Winchester had a population of only around 40,000, as I'd thought it was a much bigger place.

Without checking through all our opposition this season, I think the smallest place is North Leigh, a village of just under 2,000 people.

Swindon, of course is a big place, but there they have to compete with Swindon Town, as I suppose Poole have to with Bournemouth. The most surprising place is Nailsworth, with a population of around 6,500 sustaining not only a (currently) top Blue Square Premier side in Forest Green, but also Shortwood United.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Yes, 400,000 is total population for Poole, Bournemouth and Christchurch combined in the West Dorset conurbation.
Exactly, Boz, Skyplus is useful. Some people claim they may or may not have Sky TV and Sky Plus but can't or won't pay £8 to watch Merthyr and tell us about the take-away meals and cheap drink they get from the superstores, total usually more than £8 and a not very healthy picture!
I recorded the FA Cup Final last season as I was going to Cardiff in the evening. I have still to watch it. I wouldn't stay at home to watch ANY football game on TV if Merthyr were at home!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Markymark88 Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Let's look at last night's opponents; a population of over 60,000, nowhere near a FL club, yet they've had a crowd in double figures this season. They must really be doing something wrong.
Markymark88
Markymark88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2