Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cirencester v MERTHYR

+10
Merthyr Imp
Markymark88
Tim Drummond
Royston Rogers
joan of ark
Boz1964
supermerthyr
Bigbri
scamp
Solihull Martyr
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cirencester v MERTHYR - Page 2 Empty Re: Cirencester v MERTHYR

Post  muscles76 Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:20 am

i was there yesterday first game away for the season !!!
well it was a tidy ground but like a concrete jungle really, very cold and the pitch was like on a hill at some points.
Merthyr had plenty of support very few home fans , £2 for the programme was a joke to be honest more advertising then any programme iv bought in yrs.
now the game the REF was shocking apologizing constantly to our players and the linesman in the second half well he was useless quite shocking , some of the challenges by the home team was shocking diving in when the ball wasnt even near them but the REF just let it go. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
draw was a fair result but we need these 3 home games and win them all and roll into the playoffs bang in form.
now cornwall offers nothing to this team he lazy and general looks like he cant be arsed we looked better when he came off PREEN should start instead of him tuesday as he more direct and adds raw speed and kind of player who plays on confidence he needs games other than that it was a good battle.

muscles76

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:49 am

Cirencester is typical of the modern grounds- in the middle of nowhere. They don't have a big fan-base and not surprising as its location is not near the town. It's a pleasant stadium but soulless.
But they do have a lot of junior teams there and the club is run for the community, as well as various social functions,
Merthyr are lucky to have a ground easily accessible from the town centre.
I think if that game had been on the Football Pools coupon, it would have been a cert for a draw. It was what I expected and the Paulton and Yate results helped Merthyr a lot in readiness for the last games.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  cliffyboy Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:56 am

[quote="Tim Drummond"]It's going to be done and dusted before the last game- at Yate.[/quo
te]

Yes, 6 points will guarantee a play off spot because of our vastly superior goal diff over Yate, just one point behind Paulton with 2 games in hand so 4th spot should be the lowest we finish.

cliffyboy

Back to top Go down

Cirencester v MERTHYR - Page 2 Empty Cirencester v MERTHYR

Post  CF48 MARTYR Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:40 am

Just to add old sod once again has the report spot on.

I thought we are unlucky not have grabbed a couple in the first half and if it had not been for Ciren keeper Glyn Garner we would have won the home game as well as the away game.

Marcus had the best chance when he got onto a through ball before the keeper but a combination of a spinning ball, wet surface, a bit of hesitation and some last gasp keeping meant what seemed a presentable chance went begging, and it was in the 89th min...

For me m.o.m would be either Badger or Rewbury both had solid games, Colbourne was also good (3 defenders does give the impression we were hanging on) but in fairness Cirencester are a decent side and even though we wernt at our best its a good battling, mud bath point. Its great to see that even at this stage in the season we still have the desire and energy to dig in and battle.

For next season I would really like to see us address the forward options, in fairness he comes in for a bit of flack but for me Ryan Prosser on the whole has been superb for us since he has signed and sometimes single handedly keeps us in the goals (his record speaks for itself), I would love to see another out and out centre forward up there with him to work with, Cornwall drifts in and out and for me hes an attacking (free role) midfielder, and Preen, Marcus & Traylor for me are deemed wingers who in fairness have chipped in with some important goals, but Id love to see us play 2 strikers up the middle.

So them the seasons final straight, 3 home games in 6 days now to seal the play off deal, and after poor home defeats to Clevedon & Cinderford the lads have dug deep and pulled us right back into a great postion to make our assault on finishing as high as we can... great effort

UP THE TOWN..!!!

CF48 MARTYR

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:09 am

CF48 MARTYR wrote: Marcus & Traylor for me are deemed wingers who in fairness have chipped in with some important goals, but Id love to see us play 2 strikers up the middle.

Well, Marcus Griffiths seems to be looked on as a winger these days ever since the Taffs Well season when we had so many strikers in the squad we had to play him and Scott Armitage out wide in order to fit them into the side. And of course he's more often than not been played in that position ever since. But in a recent edition of the quiz in the match programme I asked who was the leading scorer in Merthyr Tydfil's last season in the Southern League Premier Division in 2009/10 - and the answer is Marcus Griffiths, who got 14 goals playing as a striker.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Cirencester v MERTHYR - Page 2 Empty Cirencester v merthyr

Post  Boz1964 Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:12 pm

On the subject of strikers....I did say on the forum a long time again that Prosser was a twenty a season striker....and this was in the early to mid season when he was still looking in the home dressing room for his goal den boots...i saw prosser play for the first time at taffs well and thought he would be a great provider but not an out and out striker .but he has excelled at all levels since and has proved a real asset .....on a separate note Marcus griffiths for me is our most undervalued player....he is blessed with pace and has always had an eye for goal.....and to have the ability to put the ball in the back of the net....is priceless especially at this level.....I would like to see our midfielders chip in their share of the goals....Mattie Harris again is a safe bet in a fantasy football team as he gets his fair share of brazilian netbreakers but other than that Nathan Ryan Newman and kris leek have not got many between them....but perhaps it has been that they are too busy running box to box or or under orders to get the ball to Prosser....whatever the reason we as supporters must be happy with the shift these boys have put in over the season....with great cup runs and some great entertainment....with the low point of the cinderford home game being the only exception.....whatever the outcome of the play offs the team and staff have done the club proud this season....but I'd like to see Marcus start on tuesday and get a third hattrick this season...so the value of his shirt on eBay will be increased by a few more million....only joking.....as usual ....up the town...boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:28 pm

Don't forget to pay £10 to join the Merthyr club and buy Soccalot tickets. Promotion or not, the club will need more income next season- that's the first priority.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2