Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Watch - Cirencester Town

+4
scamp
Tim Drummond
Markymark88
Wandering
8 posters

Go down

Media Watch - Cirencester Town Empty Media Watch - Cirencester Town

Post  Wandering Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Former Wales international goalkeeper Glyn Garner aims to halt Merthyr charge
Western Mail

Former Wales international goalkeeper Glyn Garner is intent on halting Merthyr Town’s EvoStik Southern League winning run at Cirencester Town tomorrow. Garner, 36, will be in goal for the Gloucestershire club as they look for a home win even though their play-off hopes have now ended.

Cirencester are ninth, but with four matches left are too far adrift to catch fifth-placed Paulton Rovers.

Garner played for Football League teams Bury, Leyton Orient and Shrewsbury Town in his career plus Welsh clubs Cwmbran Town, Llanelli and Newport County. His lone senior international cap came against Trinidad and Tobago in 2006.

While the pressure is off for Cirencester, Merthyr are still in the heat of a battle for promotion.

The Martyrs have powered into form over their last three EvoStik Southern League matches. They have beaten Taunton Town 2-1, Winchester City 10-0 and Didcot Town 1-0 to move into fourth place going into tomorrow’s clash at Cirencester.

Merthyr will then entertain Somerset club Taunton at home next Tuesday.

Matthew Harris (*now corrected to Ryan Newman) scored to earn Merthyr their 1-0 midweek win at Didcot, while Ryan Prosser’s penalty was saved after Jamie Rewbury was brought down.

Joint managers Garry Shephard and Danny Carter are nurturing their team through a hectic spell of fixtures and they still have six matches in 15 days to play. Hopefully, they will then go into the play-off semi-finals.

Only the South and South West Division champions will be promoted automatically with the next four will be in the play-offs.

Merthyr’s remaining fixtures include a Saturday/Sunday double header, both at home. They take on Wimborne Town on Saturday, April 20 and Bridgwater Town the next day.

The six fixtures left for the Martyrs are: Cirencester (away) tomorrow, 3pm; Taunton (home) next Tuesday, 7.45pm; Wimborne (home) on Saturday 20, 3pm; Bridgwater (home) on Sunday 21, 3pm; Abingdon (away) on Tuesday, April 23, 7.45pm; Yate Town (away) on Saturday 27, 3pm.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Media Watch - Cirencester Town Empty Re: Media Watch - Cirencester Town

Post  Markymark88 Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:43 pm

His career's gone downhill.
Markymark88
Markymark88

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:52 pm

He kept Merthyr out with some superb saves in a 0-0 draw at P Park in March. As a youngster, he was coached at a junior club by Terry Cutlan, father of Merthyr goalkeeper Giles.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:39 am

Centurions to clash with 10-0 winners Merthyr
Gloucestershire Echo

CIRENCESTER Town will face a stern challenge from a side bang in form when Merthyr Town make the trip to the Corinium Stadium tomorrow.

The Martyrs can point to some reasonable prowess in front of goal, having struck an incredible ten goals in thrashing basement club Winchester City 10-0 last weekend.

They followed that up with a 1-0 win over Didcot Town on Wednesday night, a result that strengthened their grip on an Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South and West play-off place.

Cirencester were without a game in midweek, so instead they had plenty of time to contemplate their 1-0 defeat at the hands of Paulton Rovers last weekend.

Merthyr could include two former Centurions in their travelling ranks for the game in striker turned defender Jason Welsh and midfield hard man Nathan Davies.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:40 am

Wandering wrote:Merthyr could include two former Centurions in their travelling ranks for the game in striker turned defender Jason Welsh and midfield hard man Nathan Davies.
Jason is currently on loan at AFC Porth and very unlikely to be included in the team that travel while Nathan has missed the last few games with injury.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:05 am

Jason Welsh went to Porth on loan " for six weeks" in January so I wonder whether he is likely to return!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:23 am

I recall Lewis Hitchcock and Jamie Thomas going "on loan" to Aberdare Town at the start of the season.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:20 am

I think we have a strong enough squad as it is without recalling anyone to see us through the remaining games

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:16 am

Ciren Bid for Late Play-Off Spot
Gloucestershire Echo

Cirencester Town are on a mission to make a late Evo-Stik League Southern Division One South & West play-off surge.

But Brian Hughes knows that his side may have left their charge a little late, despite their 3-0 derby success against Bishop's Cleeve. "We are on a mission to keep winning football games, and while we know this will be a tough match, it is these sort of games we need to win," he said. "We've got to get the right results from this tough opposition. We need to play well."

Hughes was pleased with the way his side bounced back against the Villagers, after their recent 1-0 defeat to Shortwood United.

"We lacked energy on Easter Monday against Shortwood, and I don't know why that happened," Hughes said. "Perhaps, when non-League footballers play two or three games in a matter of a few days, this starts to show. We just didn't play well. We recovered well on Wednesday, and showed what we wanted at the nitty gritty end of the season. We are fully aware it is touch-and-go, but will give it everything."

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Markymark88 Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:23 am

They're fifteen points behind Merthyr with four games to play, have I missed something? Laughing
Markymark88
Markymark88

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:05 am

What I meant was that I don't think Welsh, Thomas and Hitchcock are still on loan!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:52 am

Wandering wrote:
Wandering wrote:Merthyr could include two former Centurions in their travelling ranks for the game in striker turned defender Jason Welsh and midfield hard man Nathan Davies.
Jason is currently on loan at AFC Porth and very unlikely to be included in the team that travel while Nathan has missed the last few games with injury.

Me and Wayne went down to watch a 0-0 draw between Porth & Tata Steel the day our game against Clevedon (I think) was snowed off. It was freezing and we watched most of the "game" from the car. Game is in inverted commas because it was awful! Welshy didn't play as he has done his knee ligaments so he wouldn't be fit to come back anyway.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Cirencester's win over Bishops Cleeve was on April 3. They have no chance now of reaching the play-offs.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Media Watch - Cirencester Town Empty Lift to match

Post  Club Shop Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:39 am

If anyone in Cardiff wants a lift to Cirencester today I'll be leaving from Llandaf station at 12.45pm. Room for one Martyr.
Club Shop
Club Shop

Back to top Go down

Post  Royston Rogers Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:47 am

Anyone know if Nathan Davies and Steve Williams are available today or near fitness.

Royston Rogers

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:57 am

Royston Rogers wrote: Anyone know if Nathan Davies and Steve Williams are available today or near fitness.

Definitely not Willo but I don't know about Nathan.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:11 am

It's not really known yet if Steve will play again this season,as I understand it. But we will have to wait and see!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:21 am

I was hoping you would be fit Roy.

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 am

A Twitter message from Cirencester about Merthyr says "Time to bring them down to earth" after that 10-0 win.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Royston Rogers Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:53 am

No sorry Rustic I was out on the Twynau on Trigger's back and I fell off,should be fit to get the tea Tuesday so don't worry Shocked Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy

Royston Rogers

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:58 am

That will be a novelty. Very Happy Shocked Shocked

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Royston Rogers Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:47 am

mistaken identity Rustic Very Happy

Royston Rogers

Back to top Go down