Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

retro look back

+3
Old Sod
MattMartyr87
WSCEvans
7 posters

Go down

retro look back Empty retro look back

Post  WSCEvans Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:31 am

Found this great image from 1988/89 Beazer homes league clincher and the Penydarren park from 1960's a great site for some nostalgia >

retro look back BeazerHomesPremierTitleMatch1988-89_DavidWatkins

retro look back PenydarrenPark
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

retro look back Empty Re: retro look back

Post  WSCEvans Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:31 am

the site is http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/penydarren_park.htm
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  MattMartyr87 Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:58 am

Wow how I would love to see that many people up the Park! Is that Sunshine?

MattMartyr87

Back to top Go down

Post  WSCEvans Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:02 pm

MattMartyr87 wrote:Wow how I would love to see that many people up the Park! Is that Sunshine?

Yes incredible sunshine at a home game Very Happy and I noticed that Ginger chap looks a bit like Mark Pembridge lol
WSCEvans
WSCEvans

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Is that Les Barlow in the 1912 team?
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Good picture of the old white tip

scamp

Back to top Go down

retro look back Empty Retro shots

Post  Boz1964 Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:31 pm

Very interesting image....I am sure I would have been behind the goal somewhere...interesting how times have changed...1988 no sky football...and Merthyr s blot on the landscape the whitey looming large in the distance....as a child I remember collecting uky tyres for bonfire and pushing and wheeling them with three fellow rascals to the bont in penydarren now the boys club pitch to be burnt.....the tyres not the other children....nostalgia is a great thing but looking back there was high unemployment in the town and my personal favourite Margaret thatcher busy dividing our country....boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:03 pm

I think the reported crowd for the Crawley game, when the old club Merthyr Tydfil clinched promotion to the then Vauxhall Conference, was 3,500 or so. The average gate in the first season in the Conference was 1,600 odd so it seems like lots of the crowd at the Crawley game didn't bother to return.
A one-off important game generates excitement at Merthyr but afterwards the champagne feeling seems to turn to dregs of stale cider in a can left on the terraces.
This is the problem; people don't seem to be attracted by the bread and butter league games. And after three good seasons in the "Conference" Merthyr Tydfil, gates plunged with the average about 400 in the final season before relegation.
As far as I am concerned, EVERY game is important; that's the only attitude to adopt for a club to progress.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

retro look back Empty Re: Retro Look Back

Post  Martyr Weaver Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:21 am

I think the photo of PP, described as taken in the 1960's is much later, as the terraces on the Theatre end were added by 'JR', in preparation for our European Glory! I remember it as a grass bank with just a few metal crush barriers in the 1960's. How they ever got away with those large post war crowds in the 1940's and 50's without a major crowd control incident is a wonder; especially with just wooden steps, and an ash path down to the promenade!

Martyr Weaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum