Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Watch - Sholing

+2
itsallgoingtitsup!
Wandering
6 posters

Go down

Media Watch - Sholing Empty Media Watch - Sholing

Post  Wandering Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:52 am

Sholing ace's season could be over
Southern Daily Echo

SHOLING may have to make do without the formidable frontline presence of Jamie Musselwhite for the rest of the season. The towering targetman had a problem with his ankle when he joined the Boatmen from Sydenhams Premier neighbours GE Hamble in November.

So far he has been able to grin and bear the discomfort to help pull Sholing up to mid-table respectability in the Evo-Stik Southern One South & West. But he didn’t feature in Wednesday’s excellent 3-1 home win over in-form Yate and manager Dave Diaper revealed: “It looks like he’ll be hitting football on the head. We knew Jamie had a problem with his ankle when he joined us and it’s been giving him a lot of gyp. He feels he needs to rest it for at least a month or so and he’s really disappointed that he can’t contribute what he knows he can. But I respect Jamie massively for letting me know. A lot of players would blag it, take the money and then blag it again. He’ll be a big loss for us because he takes a lot of the weight off Lee Wort’s shoulders up front. But we’ve got the strength of Byron Mason (pictured right) playing just behind Worty and when we get the ball down and play it’s quite effective.”

That was certainly the case against Yate – a performance described by Diaper as “the best we’ve played all season”.

And tomorrow the 14th-placed Boatmen will be gunning for another of the league’s form sides when third-placed Merthyr Town visit the Silverlake Arena.

The Welshmen have won seven and drawn two of nine league games since losing 2-1 to Yate in early December. One of those draws was a 2-2 against Sholing at Penydarren Park and, if the Boatmen’s midweek form is anything to go by, Merthyr can expect another tight battle tomorrow.

“We were unbelievable against Yate,” said Diaper. “Everything we talked about in training on Monday came to fruition. Byron (Mason) played with a dead leg for most of the game and Tyronne Bowers had a dodgy ankle. But everyone worked really hard for each other and, if they continue to do that, they will never have a problem with me. We were without Kev Brewster (foot) and Marc Diaper (ribs), but young Alex Sawyer came in at right-back and played really well and I also put on midfielder Les Mwenze, a London lad from Solent University, who impressed me playing for the reserves on Tuesday. This is a transitional season for us and we’re blooding youngsters to see how they will fare for next year. It’s all coming good.”

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Media Watch - Sholing Empty Re: Media Watch - Sholing

Post  Wandering Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:00 am

Celtic Sport

Attendances are slightly down on last season when Merthyr won promotion from The Toolstation Western League.

Secretary Jamie Mack said: “It’s strange when you consider we lie third in the table. There have been a number of theories as to why, with non-league attendances being down in general. I think money is really tight for people at the moment, and something has to give. I think going forward, non-League clubs need to find a new way to attract support. If fans have any ideas, please let us know.”

After Merthyr’s home game with fourth-placed Swindon Supermarine in midweek, it’s back to travelling on Saturday with a trip to 17th-placed Sholing. They forced a 2-2 draw at Penydarren Park in December. The Southampton side were pipped 3-2 at Cirencester last Saturday.

With lots of games to play as Merthyr continue to fight for at least a play-off spot, there is another away game on Tuesday, February 26, to Gloucestershire side, Shortwood United.

Their clash at Bridgwater on Saturday was postponed, the latter team having played fewer games than any other side. Shortwood were in 13th spot at the weekend and there have been three close encounters between the clubs this campaign.

Garry Shephard and Danny Carter saw their side win 1-0 at Merthyr in August. Merthyr earned a FA Trophy replay win by 2-1 in November after a 2-2 draw away.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:02 am

Wandering wrote:Garry Shephard and Danny Carter saw their side win 1-0 at Merthyr in August. Merthyr earned a FA Trophy replay win by 2-1 in November after a 2-2 draw away.
The original 3rd Qualifying Round game actually finished 1-1.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Media Watch - Sholing Empty don't think it's down to money

Post  itsallgoingtitsup! Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:23 am

i don't think the problem with crowds going down can be blamed on admisson prices. i think it's down to the steps by side of ymca building is a big prob to some lost supporters. i spoke to a few only 3 weeks ago and they told me that the steps not being open is down to why they don't come up anymore .
why can't the board have a chat with council and sort it out or even find out how long it's going to take to re open.
one gentleman even mentioned that he had to pay to park his car in car park even thou he had a car full of people (extra cash for club)
so i ask the question why charge for car park ? we want supporters to travel to support our fan run club !! not charge them extra to park & support our club surely the board should take note of this as there are supporters keeping away and we are losing money !!

itsallgoingtitsup!

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 am

The steps closure is a problem but I can't see the steps being re-opened in the foreseeable future until (if ever) something is done to The YMCA building which is deteriorating week by week.
However, they weren't always a very safe exit rout,anyway, on steep steps, and sometimes the lights weren't working. It was a bit dangerous for lots of people going down there at the same time after a match, especially after bad weather. And so it could become a health and safety issue. And elderly with mobility problems would struggle to use the steps so it's a mixed situation.
It is a long way around for pedestrians coming from the top end of the borough.
I suppose the car-park is a facility. Parking there is safer than parking in the streets and means that the fans can get away quickly rather than walking, perhaps in heavy rain, to wherever they have parked their car.So I think it is fair to charge as it is a service to the supporters. And if there is a car full, then the fans concerned should all chip in to pay for the car-parking charge!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:02 am

I think the Sholing game will be a tough one. I hope for three points but I think one will be handy.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:50 am

itsallgoingtitsup! wrote:i don't think the problem with crowds going down can be blamed on admisson prices. i think it's down to the steps by side of ymca building is a big prob to some lost supporters. i spoke to a few only 3 weeks ago and they told me that the steps not being open is down to why they don't come up anymore .

It seems to me that there are some people will always try and find an excuse for not going to matches and this is just one of them. It must take all of 3 or 4 minutes extra to go the long way round! Personally I've got used to it myself.

As TD says, it's all down to the state of the YMCA building which is in private hands, and unless the owners do something to it to make it safe - or are able to get rid of it to someone who will - I don't see what can be done about the steps.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:06 am

These are some of the excuses for not watching Merthyr play: Admission too dear, closure of the YMCA steps, football on TV, Welsh rugby internationals, car-parking charges, cold weather, wet weather, warm weather, too near Christmas, ie, before and afterwards, insufficient money, didn't know there was a game, closure of Strikers, the standard of football, disagreements, Cardiff City are home, Swansea City are home, too dear when two home games in a week, lack of a proper bus service in the evenings....and so on.
One man told me hadn't watched them since the 1970s when Doug Rosser was manager. He claimed that the players weren't trying!!!
And sometimes we have seen folk on Welsh News claiming to be Merthyr fans who have NEVER been seen at The Park or not for many years. If people want to support THEIR club in THEIR town, they will, as well as the many who live outside the borough!!Now is the time to get behind the club and back the hard-working people who keep the flag flying! Some said a few years ago the club mustn't die...but many of those have not been seen since!!
March 5 is the next home game- Cirencester.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Point of interest i see on the internet that the ymca building is for sale at 290 thousand pounds.Not bad considering it was only bought for a pound not long ago

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:00 pm

There is sure to be a big rush to buy.....

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:00 pm

scamp wrote:Point of interest i see on the internet that the ymca building is for sale at 290 thousand pounds.Not bad considering it was only bought for a pound not long ago

A couple of years ago the figure of 1 million pounds was being quoted for the cost of renovating the place. I believe it's a grade 2 listed building, but could be demolished if consent was given. No doubt demolition would cost quite a bit, although of course it's slowly demolishing itself at the moment.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Heads up - its bl**dy freezing in Southampton!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down