Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attendance today

5 posters

Go down

Attendance today Empty Attendance today

Post  GordonTheGopher Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Attendance of 385 allthough a little disappointing was the 3rd highest in the Southern League only bettered by, Stourbridge v Hemel Hempstead Town,664 and St. Neots Town v Leamington,434.
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Attendance today Empty Re: Attendance today

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:52 pm

There were a few who we haven't seen for a while but I think I predicted only about 353 and, of course, there were a number of Poole Town fans present.
Disappointing really but at least we are attracting more supporters than many non-league clubs at the lower levels of the pyramid.
I can remember years ago when Merthyr could get 500 for a Welsh League game.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  GordonTheGopher Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Yes I can remember when Abergavenny Thursdays could get 1500_2000 for a Welsh League game, now lucky to get 10_20 in Div 3 Gwent League, heigh-ho ,times change.
GordonTheGopher
GordonTheGopher

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:13 pm

Yes, I suppose it is difficult to compare because of all the changes over the years. Most folk who say they LOVE football just watch on TV.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:31 pm

remember cardiff were playing home and had an early k.o which probably did not help.One gentleman stood by me who came in half time returning home i think from the cardiff game.the last time he was at pp was when we were in the conference with colin addison.He must have been impressed with the team

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Did he pay to come in at half-time?

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  tomboy Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:29 am

No as I'm a season tkt holder for Merthyr aswell as cardiff

tomboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:28 am

Good reply. Well, you did pay but through a season ticket! If Cardiff and Merthyr are both home on the same day, some say it will affect the Merthyr gate but I don't know how many supporters there are who watch both clubs on a regular basis when they can. I don't think there are that many, not forgetting Cliffyboy, of course, from Bristol.
There were a few supporters yesterday who are not regulars. I saw one Merthyr man who supports Swansea City and there were a few Martyrs fans who haven't been so regular recently. On the other hand, there were a number normally there who were absent.
All round, perhaps it was a disappointing gate for a top of the table clash, up more than 100 from the last match but that gate was down because of the rugby international.
Merthyr still have the best gate in their division but that just shows the declining interest in football in the country overall compared to say the 1950s and 1960s.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:01 am

The gentleman i spoke to yesterday said it was the first time he had been to pp since 1980 and remarked how much it had changed,Doubt if he had bought a season ticket every year since 1980 and not used it.Perhaps there is more than one cardiff city supporter who came in at half time.there was a certain individual in the past who would make it a habit of going in at half time to avoid paying.It is difficult to ask the gateman to stay there for most of the match particularly if they are voluntary.However it would be worth doing spot checks at times at random on a saturday to check this is not a problem.

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:21 am

It would be difficult to have someone at the gate all the time and you obviously can't lock the gates but I have often seen several people turn up at half-time (for various reasons) and presumably have seen half a game free of charge!You wouldn't get that in the cinema or theatre!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:43 am

Tim Drummond wrote: I have often seen several people turn up at half-time (for various reasons) and presumably have seen half a game free of charge!You wouldn't get that in the cinema or theatre!

Many years ago (late 1960s) I used to do that fairly regularly at the City Ground, Nottingham! They used to open the gates about 30 minutes from the end, and there were usually a good few people waiting to go in, so it wasn't just me. I remember going in on one occasion when it was 0-0, and the final score was 3-2 to Sheffield United (well done the Blades).

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:17 am

At least, The Imp confesses!!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  tomboy Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:00 pm

Only had Merthyr season tkt this yr this was first time in while city Merthyr played on same day but with early no had pleasure of watching city and 50mins of great Merthyr display

tomboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:08 pm

Sounds like a good day out at football! Others just watch matches on TV and tell us what great football fans they are! I think most people would agree that yesterday spectators had good value for their £8, £6 or£1 or season ticket!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum