Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brian Clough's Recipe for Promotion

4 posters

Go down

Brian Clough's Recipe for Promotion Empty Brian Clough's Recipe for Promotion

Post  Merthyr Imp Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 am

I've just come across the following posting by someone on the Lincoln City equivalent of this Forum:-

'In his absolute heyday I was sent to interview Brian Clough for NEWS not Sport when he had taken Derby to the First Division in his second season with them (I think).

'I asked him if there was a secret to promotion, naive I admit.

'Thanks to Pitman's shorthand here is the reply: "No, not really. You need a bit of luck going your way but there's one ****** rule you cannot do without, Young Man.

'"It doesn't matter whether it is some ****** useless local league or the Football League but if you are aspiring to be promoted from one division to the higher division you need at least six first choice players in your aspiring team to be already capable at playing at the higher level you are aiming at. If you don't have that you can ******* forget it, Young Man. It's the six or so who will get you up and once they do you can tell all the rest to **** off."'

Do you think we've got six at Merthyr? Without naming names, I would say so. Although, of course, we've got that number of players who HAVE played for Merthyr at the higher level already, albeit three years ago.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Brian Clough's Recipe for Promotion Empty Re: Brian Clough's Recipe for Promotion

Post  Tim Drummond Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:29 am

I think that's a fair comment from Clough. Too many clubs get promoted and come straight back down and sometimes find their level.
I was talking to a man today who has watched Merthyr (Tydfil) over the years. Recently he has watched Cardiff City but not for a year or so. So he has seen some games in Merthyr this season and I told him Don't forget Poole on Saturday!!! He said he hopes to be there.
He did, however, comment that football in the SL Div 1 was of a "poor standard". Well, I said "The standard is obviously that of SL Div 1."
It's no good comparing and contrasting leagues; you can only play at the level where you are. And if your side get promoted, you have to ensure that the players can compete competently in that league.
I think if Merthyr Town can hold their own at SL Premier Division level, they will do well. Within a few years, BS Div 1 may be possible. But fans must not take the attitude that if we don't get promotion every season, it has been a failure.
We seem to be living in a world where there are winners and losers and anything in between is discounted. Running a football club isn't just about winning every game! For every winner, there is a loser and in every league, the majority of teams miss out on promotion and escape relegation. It's all part of sport!

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Brian Clough's Recipe for Promotion Empty Re: Brian Clough's Recipe for Promotion

Post  Merthyr Imp Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:49 am

Tim Drummond wrote:
He did, however, comment that football in the SL Div 1 was of a "poor standard". Well, I said "The standard is obviously that of SL Div 1."

Yes, these things are relative. Our level may be of a poor standard compared to the Blue Square Premier and above, but on the other hand it's a good deal better than the Western League First Division.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:48 pm

i do not think there is that wide a difference in standard. Look what yate did to newport over two games and then did themselves proud at cheltenham.traylor on top form could play in the league.We on our day can compete with teams higher up the divisions.It is an excuse for some ex supporters to blame the standard of football rather to give an excuse why they cannot be bothered to come to pp ;What i fail to understand is why any one from merthyr travels fifty miles round trip to cardiff which is also a very expensive day in this climate when money suppose to be short rather than attend pp.we all should support our home town at least

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:10 pm

scamp wrote:What i fail to understand is why any one from merthyr travels fifty miles round trip to cardiff which is also a very expensive day in this climate when money suppose to be short rather than attend pp.we all should support our home town at least

Well said. What I fail to understand too, is how someone can claim to support a team from a town or city with which they have no connection whatsoever, and even then only watch them play on television. But 'in my day' I suppose people didn't have the TV option, and while they might look for the results of a favoured 'top club' their local club was the one they would actually go and see play. Now they don't. Times change, I suppose, but it's not what I call being a football supporter.

Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Brian Clough's Recipe for Promotion Empty Brian cloughs recipe for promotion

Post  Boz1964 Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Cloughie was a legend...I knew he liked a drink or two so I half expected to find his recipe for promotion was two parts whiskey, gin, vodka and rum chasers....from the imp report ...i didn't realise he suffered from Tourette's too....what I liked was cloughs tactic of buying a journeyman player turning him into pele for a season or two ....flogging him on to a club with too much money and then buying the flop back at a fraction of the cost...that was a true recipe for success.....we at Merthyr are blessed with a big catchment area and players who love the club and the fans....it's not about the dream of premiership football or the big money....it's the local hero effect.....the fifteen minutes of fame....playing in a winning team helps of course....but having the right conditions for success is far more important....and remember behind every Brian clough is a mrs clough and a Peter Taylor...thank god we have the martyrs version of them -John strand & the other unsung trust heroes...or we would not have a recipe for promotion but a recipe for disaster.....boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum