Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media Watch - Wimborne Town

2 posters

Go down

Media Watch - Wimborne Town Empty Media Watch - Wimborne Town

Post  Wandering Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:00 am

Martyrs snap up a new striker
Ian Caleb, Celtic Sport

NEW signing Aaron Cornwall is likely to figure in Merthyr Town’s squad to travel to Wimborne on Saturday.

The former Bath City, Chippenham Town and Bridgwater forward was signed last week from fellow Southern League Evo-Stik Division One (South and West) team Shortwood United, but as international clearance had not gone ahead, he was unable to play at the weekend, as had been hoped, when the Martyrs slumped to a surprising defeat against bottom club Yate Town.

Cornwall, 25, a winger/striker, is from Bristol but currently teaching in Cardiff. He has been with quite a number of clubs, including Paulton Rovers, Halesowen and Yate Town and four years ago attracted some interest from Bournemouth.

He played against Merthyr when they lost to Garry Shephard’s men in a FA Trophy replay at Penydarren Park in November.

The player was involved in a headline-making incident while playing for Chippenham against Halesowen in 2008. He appeared to head-butt opponent Darren Caskey and was sent off. A Chippenham supporter expressed anger as he left the field and Cornwall had to be restrained by stewards and the home chairman Derek Hooper.

But in another match in the Chippenham colours, he won the Man of the Match accolade after a 4-0 League Cup win over Oxford City.

Last month, he was in the Shortwood team which lost 2-0 at home to another of his ex-clubs, Bridgwater. He impressed in a Merthyr training session last week, so Shephard obtained his signature.

Merthyr slammed Wimborne 5-1 in Dorset in the FA Trophy second qualifying round in October. They are currently eighth in the table.

On Tuesday, December 18, Merthyr are scheduled to play at home to Sholing (7.45pm). Sholing raced into a 2-0 half-time lead over fancied visitors Tiverton Town on Saturday but went on to draw 2-2 and slump to the foot of the table as Yate had triumphed over Merthyr.

Last edited by Wandering on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Media Watch - Wimborne Town Empty Re: Media Watch - Wimborne Town

Post  Wandering Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:05 am

Gloves are off after controversial Harvell dismissal
Daily Echo

MIFFED Wimborne goalkeeper Jason Harvell believes the FA should have a re-think of their disciplinary procedures after becoming the victim of a bizarre sending off. Harvell received a straight red card after throwing one of his gloves at Mangotsfield striker Ryan Bath during an incident-packed Southern League clash in Bristol on Saturday.

The Magpies stopper reacted angrily after Bath had caught him on the hand during a challenge, with referee Kevin Morris confirming Harvell had been dismissed for violent conduct. Although the offence carries a three-match suspension, Wimborne officials have said they may consider lodging an appeal once they have reviewed video footage of the incident.

FA laws clearly state a player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses “excessive force or brutality” against an opponent when not challenging for the ball.

Harvell told the Daily Echo: “There were no excuses for the way I reacted. I took off my glove because I thought my hand may have been badly damaged. Then, in the heat of the moment, I threw it at their player. There is no doubt in my mind that the punishment did not fit the crime. It was a lightweight, foam glove and, although I threw it in his direction, it didn’t hit him or go anywhere near him. It was ridiculous. Their player lunged at me from five yards when the ball was pretty much in my hands. I thought the tackle was dangerous but the referee didn’t seem too worried about it. I didn’t react particularly well but I thought the tackle warranted a red card. I certainly felt it was a lot more dangerous than me throwing a glove at someone. He could have broken my arm.”

Harvell, a flooring fitter, added: “I thought the referee should have looked on the situation for what is was. Sometimes, the rules get in the way of a bit of common sense. I have seen players push people in the face with both hands and get only a yellow card. There needs to be some consistency.”

Speaking to the Daily Echo, Hereford-based referee Morris said he felt Harvell had “lost the plot”. He added: “He got quite aggressive, took off his glove and threw it at the player.”

Morris said the offence had to be dealt with the same way as if a player had punched an opponent or thrown the ball at another player.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:08 am

Magpies won't appeal Harvell red card
Bournemouth Echo

WIMBORNE have been thwarted by a lack of video evidence in their bid to appeal Jason Harvell’s controversial sending off at Mangotsfield on Saturday.

Harvell received a straight red card after throwing one of his gloves at Mangotsfield’s Ryan Bath, the goalkeeper reacting angrily to the striker’s reckless challenge.

However, although Wimborne’s volunteer cameraman David Briggs captured Bath’s poor tackle, he did not get any footage of Harvell’s misdemeanor, with video evidence required for any appeal to the FA.

Harvell, whose actions were construed as violent conduct by referee Kevin Morris, will now serve a three-match suspension, starting on 22 December.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:09 am

Any predictions for the Wimborne clash? Can we keep on achieving impressive results away in every game while disappointing at the Park?

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:34 am

It is highly unlikely and would be extremely difficult to repeat our 5-1 win in the FA Trophy, that was achieved on the same ground just over 6 weeks ago. However, not beating Yate at home last week creates more pressure for a positive result 'on the road' this weekend.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:06 am

Merthyr bid to exorcise ghosts of Yate defeat
Terry Phillips, South Wales Echo

MERTHYR Town look set to include new signing Aaron Cornwall as they travel to Dorset tomorrow aiming to wipe out memories of a poor team performance at home in their last EvoStik Southern League match.

In their last two matches, the Martyrs have won 4-0 at leaders Hungerford Town, but then crashed 2-1 at home against struggling Yate Town, who went into that match bottom of the table. Now they visit Wimborne Town in a South and South West Division match (3pm).

Cornwall is a former Bath City, Chippenham and Bridgwater striker and has joined the Martyrs from fellow Evo-Stik side Shortwood. It was hoped the 25-year-old, who is from Bristol, but is working as a teacher in Cardiff, would have played in the Yate match, but international clearance did not arrive in time.

Merthyr won 5-1 in an FA Trophy tie at Wimborne during October, and badly need a league away win before they take on Sholing at Penydarren Park next Tuesday (7.45pm).

Ian Traylor (2), Ryan Prosser, Matthew Harris and Shephard scored Merthyr’s goals in their win at Wimborne in the Trophy and will be looking to strike again.

Former Poole Town strikers Steve Smith and Micky Hubbard both have 10 goals this season and that goal power will be a threat to Merthyr.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:37 am

Daily Echo

Wimborne Town, meanwhile, will be without Shaun Brian when they host Merthyr Town at Cuthbury tomorrow (3pm).

Brian sustained an ankle injury in the 3-1 defeat to Mangotsfield United and is facing a spell on the sidelines, while goalkeeper Jason Harvell was controversially sent off in the same encounter after throwing his gloves at striker Ryan Bath and will start a three-match ban on December 22.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down