Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winchester v MERTHYR

+7
timshorts
Old Sod
Merthyr Imp
rustic
scamp
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
Solihull Martyr
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Winchester v MERTHYR Empty Winchester v MERTHYR

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:51 am

Team: Cutlan Newall Howe tubbs Colborne rewbs jones Davies preen Newman Traylor. Subs Prosser welsh Harris m griff.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Winchester v MERTHYR Empty Re: Winchester v MERTHYR

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:30 am

1 up Colborne 26mins good powerful header.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:50 am

still 1 up are we??
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:55 am

H/t 1 up - and a blatant penalty to us not given.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:27 am

Newall off Griffiths on 65mins
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:28 am

Newall off Griffiths on 65mins
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:32 am

Preen off Prosser on 70mins
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:35 am

Jones off Harris on 72mins
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:45 am

2 up 85mins Traylor got lucky in box after great ball in by Newman
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:50 am

21 man brawl! Rewbury and Marcus Griffiths booked - their 5 off. 88mins.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:54 am

Newman 3 up. Put in by defender but on target. 92mins.
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:56 am

F/t 0-3!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  scamp Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:58 am

Thanks for the updates well done lads

scamp

Back to top Go down

Post  rustic Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:58 am

excellent result thanks for updates,good day for swanseajack.swans beat arsenal 2 0

rustic

Back to top Go down

Post  Merthyr Imp Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:59 am

A good result going into an away match with the league leaders on Monday night.
Merthyr Imp
Merthyr Imp

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:10 am

rustic wrote:excellent result thanks for updates,good day for swanseajack.swans beat arsenal 2 0

cheers pal

great win for us both

im actualy speachless
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit) Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:11 am

cheers for updates Solihull, keep them coming every game!!

have a good weekand all
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)
SwanseaJack(SgorioFruit)

Back to top Go down

Post  Solihull Martyr Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:30 am

Well, what to say...

It’s never nice to knock a club that obviously has its problems; however Winchester felt like in death-throes. The ground is not the easiest to find; and let’s say the facilities are basic (think the Bont on a bad day). Friendly people who deserve better. I'm told there are 3 people who effectively run the club: it would be funny if it wasn't so serious seeing the same lady who takes the entry fee (£9 - don't start me) then selling the raffle/50-50 and then serving behind the bar. And when you have to go to the rugby club next door to get a decent drink you know things are desperate.

In terms of the game: I honestly felt like there were more Merthyr fans than home. Didn't stop the Ref being a homer of course. Actually, he wasn't the worst I've seen by a long shot - I'd simply rate him as awful (there's at least appalling, abysmal and total **** to go on the cr&p scale). How he and the linesman contrived to miss the most blatant penalty ever is beyond me. Winchester defended well; closed down quickly and - despite the mass brawl - were not a particularly dirty side. They had a couple of good chances - mainly from defensive slips admittedly - however put a couple (2/3 tops) of decent crosses in that on a better day (and with a better striker) would have likely produced dividends. We didn't play that well (if you were being cruel you'd say we got dragged down to the home-sides level). In terms of quality, we should be a good 3 goals better; however on the day I though the scoreline flattered us. The second - late in the game - made it safe.

Anyhow, best of luck to the hosts today - I hope they sort out the obvious problems they obviously have. Folk involved managed to keep a smile on their face: we've all been there, so best of luck. For us: hopefully onward and upward!
Solihull Martyr
Solihull Martyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:56 pm

A victory that was hard earned on a pitch that's worse that ours. I can't recall Gilo having a save to make and the only time he broke sweat was when he run the length of the pitch to join in the fracas. We were on top from the start and deservedly took the lead when Gary Colborne volleyed in from very close range after a good header down by Tubbsy from a corner. We had a blatant penalty appeal turned down when Preen (I think) was brought down in the box. The lino was about 15 yards away and the ref was in a good position but did nothing. We saw out the rest of the half easily but did switch off a couple of times and a better side may have troubled Gilo.

The 2nd half started in the same vein and we did have the odd chance or so with Traylor going close. We had difficulty in breaking the defence down and it was a bit all hands to the pump for a while. Winchester found a bit of spirit and did come at us a bit but carried little threat and we were getting more and more frustrated. The substitutions helped and Traylor broke clear and sent in a shot come cross which just eluded Prosser sliding in at the far post. then we got our second which we deserved. Good work by Newman on the left led to a cross coming in which seemed to get trapped in Traylor's feet. He managed to dig it out and he placed it over the keeper as he dived to try and get the ball. That goal deflated the home side and we played a few balls over the top which were shepherded over the byline by defenders and it was from one of those that Marcus got involved with one of their defenders and there was a bit of "handbags" which would have been OK had not their #5 decided to take a hand in proceedings and pushed Marcus over. Everyone except for their #4 joined in the mass brawl that ensued and we had a couple of yellows and the # 5 was sent off. Just before the end Newman got free in the box and sent in shot which went past the keeper but was deflected by the fullback into the net - I think it was on its way in anyway. Winchester kicked off and the ref ended the game - possibly one of his few correct whistles all afternoon! It was a win we deserved and we had to battle in not very good conditions to get it. My MOTM was probably Nathan who swept up most things a did some crunching but fair tackles.

I agree with Solihull about the people and the ground. They've got to find a lot of money between now and 31 March to do ground improvements or otherwise they'll lose their grading and will be relegated. I doubt if they have a chance with so few people helping out and there is no money around. Unfortunately the lager was like gnats hence the exodus next door and I had to throw the burger I bought in the bin as I found it inedible. However good luck to them and I hope things improve for them in the future.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  timshorts Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:55 am

I had a look on their forum to see what had gone wrong and found this:-

1. Yes the ticket price went up from £6 last season to, well, it was £9 but then suddenly £10 at the home game against Mangotsfield last weekend. Quite a leap. But still relatively inexpensive.

2. The ground is...OK. The clubhouse has recently been 'redecorated', but nobody has bothered to rehang the pictures on the walls or even the large club banner, despite the work being 'finished' months ago now. (This sort of sums up the way things feel at the Denplan at the moment.)

3. The owner is not particularly highly regarded, for a variety of reasons, despite his 'saving' of the club a few years ago. He is an ex-boxer with a rather murky past (to put it mildly), who has just recently run out of money, which is why things have been falling apart recently and all the players have left. Except the owner's son who plays centre half. And his best mate, the goalie.

4. Poor attendances, indeed, but it's ever been thus. This will be shortly disputed by some 'exiles', who will tell you that there were at least 50 more people at every game, back in the good old days.

5. Dirty or otherwise, the money has now run out. Nobody seems to know what happens next. Will the owner walk? Get bought out? Remortgage his house AGAIN? What's the point? I was recently informed by a club insider that until recently the players were getting a £200 match fee. Now they're getting £20. And the players' loyalty is being questioned. Play for the shirt! Etc.

Seems a familiar story. And every time one of the leagues decides to change from 20 to 22 clubs (or more) it seems to get worse as clubs get promoted above their natural level and find huge increased expenditure waiting for them.

There was also an interesting posting about class, suggesting that recession exempt Winchester is stuffed full of middle-class Arsenal supporters who think they are better than Winchester City. At this rate they ought to drop back into the Wessex and recover, but hey, we'll probably get to the end of the season and find that there's no relegation again, so they'll just go bust.

timshorts

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:48 am

Merthyr down the Citizens
Wales On Sunday

WITH Merthyr’s cup exploits ending in midweek, their Southern League campaign hotted up in Hampshire, in a match that saw a 21-man brawl. They are now able to concentrate solely upon their Southern League campaign and they began in fine style.

On a pitch that was hardly conducive to good football given that a youth team game had taken place that morning, Merthyr were in the ascendency early on and Ian Traylor almost converted Jon Newall's cross on 7 minutes.

The home side's best chance came three minutes later as Michael Charles robbed Jack Howe but was unable to slide in Ben Penfold.

On 21 minutes Newall crossed again for Traylor who this time forced a save from Rory Anderson but six minutes later Traylor found Andrew Thomas at the far post and his header across goal was turned in by Gary Colbourne for the opener.

Luke Jones fired over from the edge of the box just before the break but despite continuing to have the better of things it wasn't until the final quarter that Merthyr secured the points.

After another near miss from Ryan Prosser on 75 minutes Traylor fired home the second 9 minutes from time after a great ball from Ryan Newman who also provided the icing on the cake with the third goal on 88 minutes.

By then Winchester had been reduced to ten men with a 21-man brawl ending with bookings for Merthyr’s Marcus Griffiths and Jamie Rewbury, and a red card for City’s Adam Tomasso.

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Wandering Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:10 am

Comments from Winchester City website:

City frustrated in Welsh hit and run

Winchester City manager James Taylor was left ‘hugely frustrated” after his side were beaten 3-0 by Merthyr Town at the Denplan stadium in the Evostik South and West division one on Saturday.

After a 4-0 victory on Tuesday Taylor was left wondering what went wrong, “Hugely frustrating, we started off really well, took on from our good form. After half-an-hour I could see one team winning, we had three or four good opportunities to score and we needed to of scored. We should of at least been two-nil up, and we paid the price. They were dangerous from set-plays, they got a knock-down which fell to them and that was one-nil and you wonder how we’re losing. At half-time we regrouped and there was nothing between the sides in the second-half. It was quite a poor game and they get a second goal which quite frankly I thought was hand-ball. It looks at the end they beat us three-nil comfortably but we were well in the game.”

Late on Merthyr grabbed two goals as the home-side went looking for an equaliser. With Michael Charles and Adam Roberts looking dangerous as the game stretched.

Taylor spoke about incident after the game “It was right that he got the second yellow card. Mike pushed him over but the lad was treading all over Toby and he’s got a couple of gash on his leg and he should be sent off as well.”

Wandering

Back to top Go down

Post  Dial M For Merthyr Zine Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:47 am

Posted by HantsLondoner on Tony's non-league forum;

Southern League South and West

Winchester City 0 Merthyr Town 3

admission £9-00, programme: yes attendance 107

Contrary to the weather forecast, it had reached 8 degrees C when I arrived at Netley for their Hants Int Cup match v Bournemouth Sports. Pitch looked fine but no sign of any goalposts, I went into their social club down the road and asked, the one person there was surprised it wasn't on. It had been postponed, but don't know why
Anyway, due to the early (planned) KO I had time to get to Winchester to see the mighty Martyrs continue their good season. I've described the City Ground before (yes, I know it's called the 'Denplan Stadium') but after two unexpected heavy hail/rain showers as the game started, it's a pretty dispiriting place to watch a game. The visitors almost scored in the first minute with a cross that flashed across goal, something that City emulated ten minutes later. Quite an even midfield battle for the first 20 mins, then Merthyr got on top. The excellent Traylor forced a good save from home keeper Anderson, as did Newman soon after. From the resultant corner centre-back Thomas headed on for centre-back Colbourne to force home. The visitors dominated until half-time, using the wings well, and should have had a penalty for a blatant foul. City battled well after the break but nothing much happened until a Charles flick went wide after 64 mins. They also had a penalty shout for handball after a free kick. After 83 mins the Martyrs made the game safe after a good break down the left led to a cross put in by Traylor. City manager Taylor was lucky to stay on the field as he stated his opinion that there was a handball in the buildup. After 88 mins City defender Byrne took exception to Griffiths trying to get the ball from him as he fell on it and retaliated. The ref's lack of control throughout the game came to fruition as all 22 players piled in, mostly handbags though. Byrne got his second yellow. In injury time Traylor was again through, well blocked by the keeper, but Newman followed in to score (SL website gives it as an own goal). Gloom and doom at City as the squad has been severely pared due to lack of funds from the ever-popular chairman (he has put a lot in though). Lots of moaning and bad language from the bench and on the pitch as usual. The manager's doing his best!

Dial M For Merthyr Zine

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Drummond Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:11 am

The Non-League Paper and the Winchester website state that Michael Byrne was sent off. The report in the Wales on Sunday says it was Adam Tomasso.
Was the third goal by Ryan Newman or was it an own goal? There is often a grey area over deflections. I suppose sometimes it depends on whether the shot or header was goalwards or not.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:40 am

Tim Drummond wrote:The Non-League Paper and the Winchester website state that Michael Byrne was sent off. The report in the Wales on Sunday says it was Adam Tomasso.
Was the third goal by Ryan Newman or was it an own goal? There is often a grey area over deflections. I suppose sometimes it depends on whether the shot or header was goalwards or not.

It looked as if it was on its way in and the full back merely helped it on its way. Personally I'd give it to Newms.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum