Merthyr Town FC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Merthyr v Wimborne

5 posters

Go down

Merthyr v Wimborne Empty Merthyr v Wimborne

Post  Tim Drummond Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Merthyr Town 3 Wimborne Town 1
Ian Traylor received a presentation before today's game to mark his 400th match for the club last week. He celebrated in style with a superb goal on 15 minutes to follow up Jarrad Wright's goal in the second minute.
Joseph Byrne replied for Wimborne after 55 minutes as the visitors hit back. But Merthyr made sure of the points when substitute Ryan Prosser made it 3-1 before four minutes stoppage time were added on.
There was a minute's silence before the kick-off in memory of club photographer Peter Harman, whose funeral was in the week, and Howard Cadwallader, a player in the 1960s, who has also died.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Merthyr v Wimborne Empty Re: Merthyr v Wimborne

Post  Admin Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:18 am

Appreciate the report
Thank youi

Admin
Admin

https://mtfcforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Merthyr v Wimborne Empty On Report

Post  Boz1964 Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:23 pm

Thanks Phil for the read.

Was away with the Evans Clan for the weekend so missed the game but was happy at the result.

Thanks also to the a Guy who videoed the Traylor goal and put it on Twitter.

The class of the Man.

Boz
Boz1964
Boz1964

Back to top Go down

Post  hirwaunman Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:01 am

Proceedings began with a minute's silence for Peter Harman, and hopefully some of his photographs can be brought together both as a fitting memorial to him and to benefit the club as he would undoubtedly have wanted. Howard Cadwallader was also remembered and I suppose I was one of only a few there who can remember seeing him on the field and recall what a classy player he was.

It's been a long time since we saw such an early goal and all the better because we were the team that scored it. We had a cracking start to the game and that two-minute nod-in from Jarrad Wright was a great confidence booster. The feel-good factor increased when, on 15 mins, Ian Traylor scored with a sublime diagonal lob - a fitting celebration of his first home appearance since clocking up a remarkable 400 games for the club. What a wonderful servant to the club he has been.

2-0 to us at half time and we had played with a slickness and confidence that has been missing in some recent games. In the second half, the game became scrappier, largely due to a rather whistle-happy ref, but Wimborne's goal ten minutes after the restart did not unduly trouble us. Wimborne lacked consistent firepower and Alex Harris provided reliability in goal. Ben Swallow also put in a very good all-round performance, but it was Traylor's day and he rounded it off in the last minute of normal time with a vintage cross to Ryan Prosser, who made no mistake. A fitting conclusion from two players whose combined performances played a key role in sustaining the club on the field after our near-oblivion.

A very satisfying win, in which we took our chances, remained composed and put ourselves in a good position to go on the run we need to be in contention this season.

hirwaunman

Back to top Go down

Merthyr v Wimborne Empty Merthyr v Wimborne

Post  Tim Drummond Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:16 am

Yes, Phil, we noticed your absence, but,as you say,you were happy with the result.
Yes, Hirwaunman, I remember Howard Cadwallader playing for Merthyr. It is important to remember the former players even though many of them would not be known to present supporters.

This was the funeral notice=CADWALLADER Howard Sadly, on Monday September 16th at Prince Charles Hospital, aged 78 years, Howard of Nelson, beloved husband of Marlene, devoted father of Lyn and Mark, father in law of Deborah and Eleanor, and a much loved grandfather of Menna, William, Myles, Evan and Phoebe. Former player of Merthyr Town Football Club and also the Wales Youth Team. Dearly missed by all his family and friends. Service on Thursday October 3rd 2019, Glyntaff Crematorium at 12.45 pm. Family flowers only please, donations in lieu may be given to Cancer Research Wales c/o John Davies and Sons Funeral Directors, Beechwood, Park Tce, Trelewis, Treharris. CF46 6BT. Tel: 01443 410224.

Tim Drummond

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Sod Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:41 pm

Yes, I remember Howard playing for us and I think it was in the mid sixties and he was a centre forward - or striker these days.

Peter's photos (there are thousands of them) are being gone through and we will certainly be producing a collage of them to be displayed in the club.

Peter always told me he was a football fan who liked to take photos and some of the snaps he got were superb. When I was walking with Wayne behind the goal at the Theatre End he would always give me first dibs at the photos of the goals scored, usually by Traylor and he had the uncanny knack of pointing his camera in the right direction whilst still celebrating the goals.

He was a one off who will be sadly missed.
Old Sod
Old Sod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down